New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding problem M70 winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My pre 64 type Alaskan model winchester in 375H&H, doesnt feed the last round properly. The mag takes 3 rounds and the first 2 feed without any problem. Is this a case of a weak spring? Or the cartridge getting pushed forward in the mag when the first 2 rounds are fired. The bolt seems to ride over it.

Thanks

AR

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Remove the spring, stretch it out, and reinstall; if that was it, you will know.
Not much goes wrong with these so if it worked once, it will work again.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That rifle should also hold 4 down in the magazine.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always been of the opinion that if the first ones out feed and it is the last one that won't, it is the follower. Could be it is hanging up some where in the mag box

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Magnums do not hold 4 in the mag. Standard cartridges, do.
I am assuming that if it worked before, and suddenly stopped feeding the last round, the follower didn't suddenly change. But the spring might have.
I suppose its possible that the follower could have suffered in some way; I'd check for dirt or a dried clump of grease.
It's the spring though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Magnums do not hold 4 in the mag. Standard cartridges, do.
I am assuming that if it worked before, and suddenly stopped feeding the last round, the follower didn't suddenly change. But the spring might have.
I suppose its possible that the follower could have suffered in some way; I'd check for dirt or
a dried clump of grease.
It's the spring though.

This above is not accurate information. Every Pre64 Model 70 Winchester I have owned in 300 H&H and 375 H&H holds “4” down in the magazine .
4WD

Posts: 737 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Crap! I hate when this happens. Maybe I was thinking of the 300 Win Mag. Or post 64 mags, of which I have 8.
Only time I was wrong before is when I thought I was wrong, and it turned out I was right.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The pre-64 H&H magnums hold 4 down. The standard cartridge rifles hold 5 down. The wonder of a properly designed and dimensioned magazine box and follower!..

The Winchester “Shortened magnums” are the only cartridge family that are limited to 3 down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Short off sourcing an original pre64 spring, are there other springs that can be used in place?

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle is pretty fool proof...I'd take it down, clean things up and reassemble carefully. A 98 Milsurp sping will work just fine...but I'm not one to jump to the all too common and ill advised conclusion of a weak spring. If you're trying handlaods.....go to factory ammo and try again.

Another thought. Any glass bedding or replacement stock?

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here’s a quick way to test the spring. Take the spring and follower off of the floorplate and out of the rifle. Set the spring with the follower attached on a level surface like a countertop. Place your index finger in the center of the follower press the follower down straight and evenly. If the spring is in good service it should compress evenly and the follower should remain relatively level. If the front or back of the follower (spring) dip or dive the spring likely is worn out.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
Here’s a quick way to test the spring. Take the spring and follower off of the floorplate and out of the rifle. Set the spring with the follower attached on a level surface like a countertop. Place your index finger in the center of the follower press the follower down straight and evenly. If the spring is in good service it should compress evenly and the follower should remain relatively level. If the front or back of the follower (spring) dip or dive the spring likely is worn out.

Yup. Echols and I went through a dozen or so springs just like this to find a good one once. Had never seen it done before. The variability surprised me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by Pre 64 “type”?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I actually don't know what all the drama is about; these springs date from the first Mauser box magazines and are largely interchangeable; of course there are exceptions (short and some very long applications). Additionally, any one of them can be bent and altered to suit different situations. They are just flat springs; solid 19th Center stuff; not rocket surgery technology.
I use Ruger 77 and Mauser springs for everything.
Yes, successfully. I know how to make them work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
What do you mean by Pre 64 “type”?

If it is directed to me, what I said was:
"sourcing an original pre64 spring"

BB

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually don't know what all the drama is about; these springs date from the first Mauser box magazines and are largely interchangeable; of course there are exceptions (short and some very long applications). Additionally, any one of them can be bent and altered to suit different situations. They are just flat springs; solid 19th Center stuff; not rocket surgery technology.
I use Ruger 77 and Mauser springs for everything.
Yes, successfully. I know how to make them work.

Agreed...The spring only needs to lift the rounds in position for feeding. If the package is properly configured, it's gonna feed

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your input. The rifle is an Alaskan model 70 made in UT. I believe only a 1000 were made in SS with a laminated stock and this is one. It feeds beautifully except with one round in the magazine. I played around with it just now and it seems that when you open the bolt the cartridge nose goes up at an angle and the base goes down thus not making contact with the bolt! so the bolt rides over the cartridge until making contact somewhere in the middle of it! If you wiggle the cartridge back it lies flat makes contact with the bolt and feeds.

I cant remove the spring from the floor plate as hard as I try and slide it out. Guess its a trip to my gunsmith!

Thanks for all your input, I also feel its a spring problem!

Also it only takes 3 rounds in the mag., the standard configuration probably takes 4!

AR

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, you have a post 64, not a pre.
You do not need a gunsmith; if you pull hard enough, the spring will come off, but just remove the follower and bend the spring so as to put more pressure on the rear of the follower. It will work. The spring is very easy to bend with your fingers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
The rifle is an Alaskan model 70 made in UT.

In that case call BACO and politely ask them to send you a new spring (or 5) to get your rifle in service.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be curious to see if all this positivity about the spring leads anywhere. Hope we're kept up to speed.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
This ol' novice had a BRNO .223 that did this same nose up thing. Bent the spring end and voila. Just hold it with your thumb underneath and bend it down so the bend is in the middle of the follower a little at a time and note the change in the cartridge attitude. Caution: Bending the spring back is asking for it to snap off as my skinny spring did on the first try.
A little spritz with silicone spray would not hurt either. Just wipe away the excess.

quote:
Ok, you have a post 64, not a pre.
You do not need a gunsmith; if you pull hard enough, the spring will come off, but just remove the follower and bend the spring so as to put more pressure on the rear of the follower. It will work. The spring is very easy to bend with your fingers.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

I reached out to a friend who is a gunsmith and he suggested bending the spring to push the rear of the follower upwards and thats all it took! Works great now.

Thanks for all your input.

Regards
Arjun

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Bob's yer uncle!

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure that is what I said to do on day one. I've done this 100 times but no one ever believes me.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
dpcd: Yes, you did. Me too, even in detail.
You can lead a horse to water. But, you can't make 'em drink.
CB