New
Find
Notify
Tools

reamer life ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would be ,the average life of a reamer on cm barrels? provided its looked after .Or rather how many barrels could you do ?

Posts: 175 | Location: australia | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to say. I have many standard reamers that I've had for 20-25 years and they are still going strong. A lot depends on how you take care of it, and how often you pull it from the chamber, clean it and the chamber, before reinserting it.

I'll remove as much material as possible with a boring bar prior to inserting the reamer. Even at this, I will pull the reamer and wash things down a few times before setting final depth. Reamers that are used with a continuous flush stand a better chance at a prolonged life.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
It's hard to say. I have many standard reamers that I've had for 20-25 years and they are still going strong. A lot depends on how you take care of it, and how often you pull it from the chamber, clean it and the chamber, before reinserting it.

I'll remove as much material as possible with a boring bar prior to inserting the reamer. Even at this, I will pull the reamer and wash things down a few times before setting final depth. Reamers that are used with a continuous flush stand a better chance at a prolonged life.

While it's a good post it's also as evasive as one can get and of course it must be as the variables are so large.

Lets stick our necks out a bit with this one.

If you use a rougher and finisher I'd say the finisher could cut 100 chambers before a sharpening is required.

If you cut the entire chamber with the finisher alone the finisher might make 15 chambers before a sharpening is needed.

This assumes proper lubrication, alignment, surface footage and technique.

Putting a number on this is nearly impossible but I just had to try to see how many agree with me.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boucanier:

I own approximately 100 reamers of different makes. In the past I did my chammbering center to center the slow way (48 RPMS)then cut and clean. I now use a high preasure (25-125 psi) flush system now. I do high speed (105-350 RPMs)chambering in the head stock. I use Rustlic 255R cut 5:1. I have PT&G piloted reamers that have cut 150 chambers and still cut clean chambers. I cut and flush frequently. Lots of coolant/lubrication. No heat, no build up. After I am finished I clean my reamers and oil them with 20 weight non detergent oil and store them in individual plastic tubing.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you pump oil constantly from the muzzleend, and use carbide both rougher and finisher, and runs about 350rpm on rougher and 250 on finisher, and has enough oilpresure to constantly flush out chips, our expierience is >1000 for rougher and >3000 for finisher.

Using uncoated HSS reduce rpm 50% and life >300 rougher and >600 finisher

Coated HSS in between

Coated Carbide 30-50%higher than carbide

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I read from Malm's post is that he has reamers that with care they have functioned for 20 to 25 years. That is hardly being evasive which would mean he has something to hide. He may not a have a count on the useage to date but elusive?????

The muzzle flush systems certainly extend the life as noted. I spoke at length with Greg Tannel about the use of them but figured for my purposes it was a giant overkill.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
What I read from Malm's post is that he has reamers that with care they have functioned for 20 to 25 years. That is hardly being evasive which would mean he has something to hide. He may not a have a count on the useage to date but evasive?????

The muzzle flush systems certainly extend the life as noted. I spoke at length with Greg Tannel about the use of them but figured for my purposes it was a giant overkill.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote