New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finish on inside of stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When putting finish on a stock, are you supposed to put any on the inside of the barrel channel or any other "inner" area, to help protect from moisture?

thanks guys,

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red, yes you should, you should have soaking coats and some good build up coats on the inletting. A thin epoxy makes a good coating but you need to relieve the wood enough so that your metal will fit in.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
heck yeah.. or water/weatehr will slip right past where you can't see and wrap/distort yuo stock....

SEAL IT

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much. Chic you know I was telling you I had to finish shaping that ebony grip cap on my laminate stock, that's the one I am working on. I have the cap shaped to a way I like, but am working with filling a gap between the wood and cap with some epoxy (somebody else mounted it for me and did a bad job, and used elmer's glue I think as there is white showing).

I am still needing to find the finish that you told me to look for. So when the sanding is all done I will be starting, hopefully by mid next week.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote