Find
Notify
Tools

pre 64 Identification
 Login/Join

<Hux>
posted
Hi all

Have got a 30/06 pre 64 Winchester put aside at my local gun shop. Not being an expert on this topic I though I might impose upon the groups knowledge.

OK...it appears original with no modifications, a steel floorplate and what looks like a checkered alloy buttplate which is slightly inset with a tng in the top edge of the butt (like a V).
The barrel is marked Winchester Featherweight (and in excellent condition) but the stock is not like the modern featherweights and does not have a shnabel foreend but is a semi round style. The stock does not appear to be anything bar an original stock.

Overall the rifle is is probably 85% condition.

So can anyone offer advice as to whether it is an original Featherweight pre 64?
Can you production date them from Serial No range?

Thanks in advance

Craig
(Australia)

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hux:
Hi all

Have got a 30/06 pre 64 Winchester put aside at my local gun shop. Not being an expert on this topic I though I might impose upon the groups knowledge.

OK...it appears original with no modifications, a steel floorplate and what looks like a checkered alloy buttplate which is slightly inset with a tng in the top edge of the butt (like a V).
The barrel is marked Winchester Featherweight (and in excellent condition) but the stock is not like the modern featherweights and does not have a shnabel foreend but is a semi round style. The stock does not appear to be anything bar an original stock.

Overall the rifle is is probably 85% condition.

So can anyone offer advice as to whether it is an original Featherweight pre 64?
Can you production date them from Serial No range?

Thanks in advance

Craig
(Australia)

Three quick ways to determine what you have it to make sure that it has the claw extractor that runs down the length of the bolt. That's the dead give-away. Next, the trigger guard on the featherweight is aluminum, and the floorplate is steel. The other easy item to spot is the barrel contour. On the featherweight the barrel diameter drops quickly off past the receiver ring. It is not gradual by any means. Very sharp and abrupt for reducing weight, but basically makes them look ugly IMO.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
On pre 64 M 70 Featherweights the trigger guard, floorplate and floorplate hindge are all aluminum.

It should say Featherweight on the barrel and they look beautiful to me!

posted Hide Post
If it is a pre 64, the serial number has to be below 700,000

Posts: 26 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Hux>
posted
thanks guys.

The barrel is marked Featherweight and it does step down very very quickly off the receiver ring....maybe 1/4" (5mm) before it comes down to a lightish taper. Barrel is 22" so at least the barrel is the real thing.

Bolt is just like the Win70 Classics except for the ridge that is roughly in the middle of teh bolt just forward of rear bridge and runs in line with the centreline of the rifle (bad description).

I know values are hard to say without pics (plus the foreign country thing) but AUD$1k (@ US$650) with rings and mounts (Weaver) which is pretty good over here for a real pre 64.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Here's a link that allows you to get manufacture dates from your Winchester Serial Number .

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote