New
Find
Notify
Tools

McMillan Post 64 to Pre 64
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a McMillan stock that is inlet for the current production Winchester Model 70. I also have a pre 64 Model 70 that I was thinking about rebarreling with a Kreiger and putting in an aftermarket stock.

Does anyone know how much trouble it would be to change the inletting from what it is now and have it fit the Pre 64?

Or if it can be done at all.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The hole spacing of action screws is vastly different. Definitely not worth the trouble to attempt to modify the stock to fit.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I just tried it a few weeks ago and not worth the trouble.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers to my question.

I appreciate it.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't put a pre-64 model 70 into one but I did put a Model 54 winchester into an Echols Legend stock and it was no big deal. This particular 54 is fitted with pre-64 bottom metal and screw spacing is the same as the pre-64.
The spacing of the two rear screws is the same as the new model while the front screw is about 1/4 inch rearward of the new action screw placement. No big deal. Regards Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No trouble at all. Mill the proper hole spacing with a half inch endmill. Drop two pillars in and bed the barreled action. You will need to re-bed the stock anyways after changing bbl and action.

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote