New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help bedding the barrel channel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a benchrest rifle in a McMillan stock that I will be rebarreling. Currently the barrel has a 1" dia at the muzzle and the bew barrel will he .75 dia.

This is going to give me quite a large gap around the barrel.

I want to fill tha barrel channel so that there is a more rerasonable gap but don't want to add a lot of weight.

I certainly have enough AcraGlas to do the job but am hoping for a lighter solution.

I'm sure there is a lot of bedding expertise out there that will have a solution to my dilemma.

Thanks.

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
There are lightweight foam sheets that are used for packing. These can be layered with a film of epoxy and set into the current barrel channel until you have the proper buildup. Then lay a "skim" of appropriately colored epoxy on top of that to give it a finished look.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safarihunter:
I have a benchrest rifle in a McMillan stock that I will be rebarreling. Currently the barrel has a 1" dia at the muzzle and the bew barrel will he .75 dia.

This is going to give me quite a large gap around the barrel.

I want to fill tha barrel channel so that there is a more rerasonable gap but don't want to add a lot of weight.

I certainly have enough AcraGlas to do the job but am hoping for a lighter solution.

I'm sure there is a lot of bedding expertise out there that will have a solution to my dilemma.

Thanks.

Why not leave it and let it breath, or, wrap several layers of Duct tape around the barrel to produce the amount of gap that you want and then bed it as usual, only using "Bondo" Auto Body filler. It's relatively cheap and sets up fast. And paint really digs it! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to your local hobby shop and buy some microballons.
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_tech_microballoons.htmMix these with accra glass for a light solid filler -not quite the same material as "Bondo". You can use this on cars I suppose but it's not the best stuff to use on fiberglass stocks.......

Use plummers tape to mask off your barrel .Do the barrel channel work before your final bedding.

Glenn Big Grin

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will second the use of microballoons with acraglass. It'll give you the best compromise with what you want to do. Check the weight of the rifle before you begin though to make sure you stay within weight limits for the benchrest rifle. However, going from a 1" barrel to a 3/4" barrel ought to let you use anything you want to in the barrel channel.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on what Westpac said but take it one step further. You only want to close the edges around the barrel and save weight so after you do the "bondo" thing, go back and hog out all of the excess except a little at the top and front of the stock. It will add very little weight there.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as your only talking about .125 0n either side I'd for sure look at it before deciding to fill in the bbl. channel. I'd be real tempted to leave as is. a generous float is normally advantageous to accuracy.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with swampshooter . I would be tempted to lay in a few pieces of carbon fiber in the barrel channel to stiffen up that McMillian stock fore end .

A lot of the materials used for finishing cars should not be used for finishing fiberglass stocks."Bondo" is actually a pet peeve of mine. One good bump on a hunting rifle and you repaint.
Try using the Evercoat products http://www.evercoat.com/ The Polyester Glazing Putty is great. Easy to use and very hard after curing .
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=29

You can finish a Brown Percision blank in one and a half passes .

I remember one M77 Ruger .257 R that someone had attempted to use Bondo for bedding and then rebedded with some epoxy over the Bondo. That rifle shot great after it was rebedded properly .He got a fine pronghorn the next week though....

Glenn

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote