Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 39 Jamming
 Login/Join

posted
I've got a Marlin 39M that I almost like a lot. I say almost because it has been jamming three or four times out of every 100 rounds. Everything will be working fine and then I'll bring the lever down and it won't come back up.

I've shot levers enough that I know to work it briskly and I'm not short stroking it. When I take the rifle down to clear the jam, two rounds fall out. One sometimes has deformed nose.

Any idea what's wrong with my rifle?

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If the carrier begins to move before the round has cleared the stop, that would deform bullets. Check to make sure the magazine spring has sufficient strength to push the rounds out of the magazine tube and in to position on the carrier.

Take the gun to the range. There, fire and cycle the gun slowly and deliberately making sure you're not accidentally short stroking the lever. Every once in a while I will loosen my grip on my Glock and stove pipe a round. No one is exempt from these type of malfunctions.

I don't have one in the shop at the moment to look at, but you might be able to remove the side cover and watch how the cartridge stop works as the lever moves into position at the bottom of the stroke and how it cuts off the next round in line.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Fraser:

I have had a Marlin 39A for 31 years.

Mine did jam in a similar way when oil gummed up behind the carrier that lifts the cartridge from the magazine opening to the chamber. I suggest that you disassemble all the internal mechanical parts, and hit them with brake cleaner to really de-grease them. Then soak them up with three coats of G-96 or something similar that doesn't gum up over time.

My problems in my 39A ceased 10 years ago after I starting using G-96 exclusively. Before that I had gummy oil build up after a year or so from RemOil, Hoppes oil, etc., and had to disassemble and de-grease it yearly.

Another possibility is dirt may have lodged behind the flat spring in the receiver that keeps the second round in the tubular magazine from entering when you are cycling it. I had build up there, too, mostly wax from the 22's bullets.

If you have more questions, PM me, give me your telephone number and I'll call you.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yale, I'll check things out as you suggested. I'm hoping that you're right because it would be a simple fix. Thanks for the offer of a phone call. It is very kind of you.

Westpac, I'll also take a look at that mag spring issue. I did wonder at first if it was operator error but I made a point of being very deliberate with how I was working the lever and it kept happening.

Whatever the problem is I'm sure it will be sorted out soon. It's a great little rifle. With the Williams FP receiver sight it's a lot of fun to shoot as well as being accurate and nice looking.

Chuck

posted Hide Post
I took a look at the Marlin and the cartridge stop was somewhat dirty and the screw that retains the cartridge stop was loose by about 1/4 turn. I'm guessing that is likely my problem. Hopefully I'll get out shooting after work tomorrow and see if it reliable again.

Chuck