New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Inletting ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ordered a finished stock and it arrived on Friday. Thats the good part, they were only about 2 1/2 weeks later than they told me, but thats alright. My question comes about the inletting tolerances. The cut out for the bolt handle is at least a 1/4 inch wider than the handel and the cutout is about 1/4 beyond the bottom of the handel. This is for a MRC barreled action. The bolt handel is swept back a little but the cut out starts out at 90 degrees to the top line of the stock and continues past where the handel starts to sweep back. At this point the opening is about .6 wide. The opening is not centered with the bolt handel but more open to the front. So do you think I have a complant [with the bolt closed you don't have any trouble seeing the bedding block]. I tryed to call and discuss this but they must be closed on Saturdays. Just wondering what to do. Not complaining about the rest just seems that they removed about 2x to much wood in this area. What would be my options or is this alright. Thanks I'm a little frustrated I guess.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hay 257 Rock

I guess i am a bit blind but who did you say made the stock
and are you 100% sure the stock you got's for your action ?
Becouse that's alot of meat dug out on the stock

Just my 2 cent's

pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just as well not say who made the stock yet. The stock is for this barreled action, its a MRC left hand short. I don't think anything but this action and barrel contour would fit this stock. I guess if I had my way I would want them to send me a stock unfinished and without the bolt handle cut out of it. I will find out what my choices are on monday I hope.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd send it back and have them send me one that has not had the bolt notch cut out. The one you have must certainly look awful...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote