New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Remington 30 Express
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Model 30, modified bolt handle, guide rib, modified bolt reliese.

Navy Award 720

commercial 720 with different stock

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep a eye out for model 30's . Saw a nice origanal one rechambered to 257 roberts from 25 remington . Wish I would have grabbed it.

I have a 1927 model 30 that is modified with model 720 features. Its a very slick action.

I also just accuired a Model 720 serial 41xxx 1941, commercial rifle(not the Navy award rifle). According to the remington society , only 2437 were produced and 1000 were Navy award rifles.
This 720 is a pretty slick action.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rem 30 was the commercial version of Remingtons wartime (WW1) P14/P17 rifles. At the end of the war, Remington was spitting out 4000 p17's per day, so they had a LOT of parts left over. They made a few improvements, and presto; the Model 30. There was a model 30 rifle, a model 30 carbine, a model 30 express and a model 30S. Slight variations in all of them. The barrels were originally 24", in 30-06 only. Receiver bridges were turned down to the same diameter as the receiver ring, sporting sights added, bottom metal straightened. It also was fitted with sling swivels. These first 30's were also available from Remington in F grade, F for fancy I guess. Engraved action, special checkered stock, and a scope and mounts. A new thicker stock with checkering and cross bolts, in 24" rifle and 20" carbine form, became the 30 Express. In 1930 a 30S or "special" version was introduced, again with a fancier stock, and receiver sights (Lyman 48, with gold bead up front). In 32 or 33, the rifle became a 30A, the carbine became the 30R, and the 30S became, officially, the Special. New calibers were added, 25, 30, and 35 Remington, 7 Mauser, 257 Roberts (in 34) and probably 7.35 Mauser. The cocking system was changed to cock on opening and the trigger was changed to a single pull (previously the only choices were double stage military style trigger or an optional set trigger) Another stock change in 39, along with a name change to 30SL, 30 SR, or 30 SX (depending on which sighting system it came with, factory, lyman, or Redfield). Late model 30's have also been mentioned with the guide rib on the bolts. They made them until 1941, when they were replaced with the finest version of P14/17's, the 720. Most of this info came from de Haas and Otteson's bolt action books, along with some stuff I've read and run into over the years. I don't know how many were made, sorry. HTH - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 30 S that (oneday) is going to be a 458 Lott. I've been told that you could build anything short of a 50 BMG on it without hesitation. But don't use the factory stock. Too narrow for my likes anyway. My 2 cents worth, anyway.

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could someone post a closeup picture of the left side of the rear bridge of a 720 showing the bolt release and the contour of the bridge just back of the bolt release.
I have several M1917 and P14's and I hope one day to make a large caliber rifle. I just think that the left side of the bridge looks a little clunky, and needs a little streamlining. I would like to cut the receiver just back of the bolt release hindge, removing the round button that supports the bolt release spring. I think this would improve the looks of the rifle a lot.

Thanks, Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 720 has the long bolt reliese with a coil spring at the rear and you push in the rear part of the reliese instead of pulling the front.

My model 30 has been modified and looks like a mauser reliese. The spring is rapped around the hinge screw and behind that the reciever side has been cut in a arc down contouring into the tang area.

I will try and post pictures later

Here is a top vew of a 720 you can see the reliese

Here you can see the oposite side of the reviever side behind the safety. My model 30 has that whole rear side behind the reliese removed and contoured

This photo isnt very good of my model 30 but youcan see the reliese and the back of the reciever side cut off . Ill have to take some better pictures