THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Model 70 bolt sleeve and safety on 03 Springfield?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 bolt sleeve and safety on 03 Springfield?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know there are a number of conversations of the Mauser and Springfield to Win like 3 position safety but I want to use the actual Win bolt sleeve and safety.

My interest started when I picked up a Win. Mdl 70 bolt sleeve assembly at a gun show some years back and was surprised to see that it screwed and indexed properly into a 03 Springfiled bolt body. The bolt sleeve lock even worked correctly.

Has anyone here fitted a Win. 70 bolt sleeve and safety of a 03 Springfield? Looks like it will take some extensive modification of the firing pin rod or adaptation of the Win rod to fit the Springfield.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done a couple of these conversions. The main difficulty is the firing pin. I just made a new firing pin similar to the m70. Works great but it just doesn't seem like a Springfield without the cocking knob. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thread indexing is the same for the Post 64 Model 70 and 1903.
However the pre 64 Model 70 sleeve thread indexing is different.

Yes there is a lot of work redoing the 1903 cocking piece to work with the M70 safety, but it can be done.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote