New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chanlynn barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ever heard of one of these? How`s the quality? Reputation?

Thanks

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If it is Mark Chanlynn, he now uses the name Rocky Mountain Rifle Works, and they are a good barrel. Mark apprenticed under Boots Obermeyer, and I believe also was a gunsmithing instructor at the Colorado School of trades.

I have used two of his barrels in .308 Winchester in Match rifles, and both were excellent. Mark also stands behind his products. If he does the work, and the barrel does not shoot, he replaces it. I'd use another one.

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard much good and one not so good. John Feamster wrote an article called HBAR from Hell. Barrel maker refused to stand behind his barrel. I've been told by many it was Chanlynn.

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Twain said there are lies, damned lies and statistics. I'd add "told by many" to that ditty. Mark did some work for me last year and he was good to his word. The 270 Winchester he barreled for me shoots into one ragged hole and that was without much experimentation with loads.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you had a good experience. The writer was "one of the many".

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my hunting buddies is a mechanic at a large dealership in Colorado. One of the largest. Two or three years ago he worked on a pickup with a busted transmission. The pickup was less than a month off the lot and the transmission failed 100% and the vehicle had to be towed in. The ownder was hunting and that ruined part of his trip. He wanted the transmission fixed under warranty. He was adament about that. Problem: When my buddy got inside the tranmission case he found a highpower rifle bullet inside the transmission, a hole on top of the tramission case and a coresponding hole in the trasmission hump inside the cab complete with burned carpet. The owner or one of his buddies put a loaded rifle muzzle down on the floor and the thing discharged killing the transmission. Warranty? No way. Pissed off owner? You bet. There are two sides to every story. The writer may be one of "the many", but he still used innuendo to smear an unnamed barrel maker. If he doesn't have the balls to name the maker, he ought to shut up.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i agree 100% roger!!