THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Hinged bottom metal for intermediate length Mauser?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hinged bottom metal for intermediate length Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
Does anyone know of a source of hinged bottom metal for the intermediate length Mauser 98 – specifically the Yugo M48. I have a project I am working on and would like to use a set of hinged bottom metal if possible.

Was there ever a intermediate length military 98 Mauser that had hinged bottom metal?

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted Hide Post
I think that Sunny-hill has it. These are very beautiful and well made

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know who makes new bottom metal for those Yugo actions. But I would think that because the Yugo actions were made for the 8 x 57 Mauser cartrudge the magazine box part of the bottom metal would be the same size as regular sized mausers.

If that is the case, I wonder if you could take a 1909 Argentine Bottom Metal and cut the front end off, take off the appropriate amount of metal, and then reweld it back together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I don't know who makes new bottom metal for those Yugo actions. But I would think that because the Yugo actions were made for the 8 x 57 Mauser cartrudge the magazine box part of the bottom metal would be the same size as regular sized mausers.

If that is the case, you could take a 1909 Argentine Bottom Metal and cut the front end off, take off the appropriate amount of metal, and then reweld it back together.

You have to do mag box work too. The yugo box is a little shorter than the 98's. Same will be with a commercial mexican hinged unit (at least the one's I've seen) and a spanish mauser hinged unit. Except it's the oposite with them there boxes are too small. They can be easily modified for the yugo, but not a drop in. The screw spacing is correct, but the mag boxes on the small rings are shorter than the yugo. It's alot less work to open a mag box than relocate the front screw pillar. You can also hinge your existing one as an option.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the intermediate length and have done everything mentioned above and more besides. Some of the Spanish 1893/95 rifles had hinged floorplates in 2 styles that can be used but the boxes are short as already mentioned. They both look better with a later 1909 floorplate substituted for the original (I had several left over from straddle conversions). Also the Herter's J-9 action and the very first Mk Xs were the intermediate length made in Yugoslavia and had very nice steel hinged floorplates, but if you had one of those actions then you wouldn't need your 1924.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was warned by Jim Wisner tht the spring pocket is different on an intermediate floorplate than the 1909. Basically it needs to be moved forward when installing one an an intermediate guard. Or cheat and cut the spring like I did on this one. PME floorplate on a yugo guard. One of these days I'll finish it.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I have owned a couple of the FW Heym intermediate mausers (westerfield 720a) and this is how they did the bottom metal. It's obviously a military piece that's been converted, but it looks good and works well.

You can see how they cut the front to extend it to work with the 30.06 cartridge.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote