Find
Notify
Tools

510 Gibbs question?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted
When building a 510 Gibbs do you use a 505 Gibbs reamer in a .510 dia. barrel or is there a 510 reamer?Can you also use 505 dies to load with?

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am working my way thru that issue now... I guess it could be done, but is a couple of minor pains in the butt to do so.
First, you need to get the diemaker (and I suggest CH4D, because DAve is one of us crazies) to cut the neck on the dies .005" larget in diameter. Then you need to get a neck/throating reamer made that is the same .005" larger to recut the neck on an already-chambered 505.
I am swaging .510" cast bullets down to .5055" and shooting them in a friends 505 Gibbs. I am doing loadwork with cast bullets for a cheap full power load for him to practice with. 650gr GC bullet in front of 120gr of Vihta Vuori Oy N160...2089fps for a thirty shot string.
I was going to stuff a 750gr RFN bullet into a once-fired case as a souvenir for a friend. and forgot to run it thru my homemade swage die first...NO WAY! was it going into that case and get seated.

PM me about a dummy to play with.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Rich,
I think I'll regroup and think about this.I just wanted something big and easy.Thanks for the help.

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote