New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extractor cut
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting this project squared away finally after many years. 1910 Mexican action, 308 thanks to Craigster have a bolt for me. Well, retirement helped too. So it seems I need to make an extractor cut. Have researched the same but haven't found actual depth. Is there a set depth or just do it til it fits? Thanx for any info.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Measure from the face of the action with the bolt closed to the end of the extractor. The difference between that measurement and the tenon length + 7-10 thou would be the depth needed for an extractor cut unless I'm confused (assuming the barrel shoulder is contacting action face).

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
Measure from the face of the action with the bolt closed to the end of the extractor. The difference between that measurement and the tenon length + 7-10 thou would be the depth needed for an extractor cut unless I'm confused (assuming the barrel shoulder is contacting action face).

+1 What matt guy said.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm confused, I didn't think a Mexican needed an extractor cut.

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setters5:
I'm confused, I didn't think a Mexican needed an extractor cut.

Or any 98, for that matter.???

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mex need extractor cuts as do yugos. Yugoslavians are safety breached.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my way to having it done. Many thanx.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted December 03, 2016 6:58 PM Hide Post
Mex need extractor cuts as do yugos. Yugoslavians are safety breached.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Strange, my complete rifle didn't have one when I got it. I've heard of using intermediate bolts in them with the safety breech.

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't need the cut if you didn't fit the barrel to the inner ring. then you will have the same cartridge case head protrusion as a regular 98; obviating the "safety breech" idea.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Don't need the cut if you didn't fit the barrel to the inner ring. then you will have the same cartridge case head protrusion as a regular 98; obviating the "safety breech" idea.

Maybe I'm confuzzled. It struck me that the Mexican was a 93 Mauser. It has no internal ring or shoulder. No? Yes? Should I shut up and go play in the corner?

popcorn

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small ring 98. Made in 1933.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Small ring Mexican 98 Mausers don't need an extractor cut unless you are using a Yugo or other Intermediate bolt.

The originals didn't have extractor cuts. I've more than a dozen Small ring Mexican 98's and not one has an extractor cut.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 98 pattern Mexs do indeed, have the internal ring. I suspect the OP is using a Yugo bolt. The original bolts and extractors stop at the barrel face, like standard 98. I am looking at five or so of them in my basket o actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The 98 pattern Mexs do indeed, have the internal ring. I suspect the OP is using a Yugo bolt. The original bolts and extractors stop at the barrel face, like standard 98. I am looking at five or so of them in my basket o actions.

The bolt I gave Mark was 1936 Mexican. I believe that's what he's using.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bolt I gave Mark was 1936 Mexican. I believe that's what he's using

If the action is also a 1936 it needs no extractor cut.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of these days I'm gonna buy one of those real expensive, Ludig Von Mausery bolt action books that explains in detail every silly quirk in every single Mauser variant that was ever made. And after that UPS chick in the baggy, brown, polyester outfit drops it off. I'm gonna run over it with my truck. Then I'm gonna spit on it. Then stomp on it. Then I'm gonna go all team Adolf and burn the fawker. I still won't be any smarter. But I'll sure as hell feel better!

coffee he he he

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action was made in 1933 so is not a 36.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures? What are you guys even talking about? Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok. I might be self defeating in this. Wondering if I have the wrong extractor. This was a project long shelved. I barely remember some things. I dug a bunch of parts out of a bucket and started putting them together. Is there several sizes of extractors? I know the one I'm using is somewhat longer than my Swede extractors. But they are pre 98.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would probably make more sense with some pictures of the bolt head with the extractor installed and a frontal picture of the receiver. And whatever other pictures. I always try to post photos when I'm explaining something. I don't make much sense to most people at the best of times, but it only takes one photo to explain everything that I can't articulate with words.

Well, to me anyway. I don't read the articles in Playboy either. The pictures on the other hand, I read them purdy gud!

coffee lol

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancing Understand that Speer. Been so long since I posted pics will have to relearn. See what I can come up with.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics of what the extractor to "C" ring relationship should look like with a proper Mexican Bolt installed in battery in a SR Mexican 98 receiver.

First is a 1910 action. Note that the extractor and cartridge guide nubs do not protrude beyond the "C" ring.

Next is a 1936 Action, again, nothing protrudes beyond the "C" ring.

Here is a Mexican bolt with std 98 extractor along side with the "tongues" that ride in the groove on the bolt aligned. Note that the standard 98 extractor is longer from that tongue forward.

Now, occasionally you get an assembly of parts where, due to tolerance stacking, the extractor blade can protrude just a hair past the "C" ring. Usually just a few thousandths. In these cases, you simply dress the face of the extractor claw.

If you do have a 36 bolt, here is what the face looks like:

A 36 extactor will have this gas vent hole:

An Intermediate 98 bolt can be used but requires an extractor cut and counter bore in the barrel. Here is a commercial Yugo intermediate bolt inserted. Note the bolt head extends past the "C" ring. I left the extractor off so you can see the bolt better.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Taylor:
Is there several sizes of extractors?

Yes. For the 98's you have two sizes. The one that fits the Mexicans and the one that fits the rest, excluding of course the Siamese.

Standard length 98s and Intermediates use the same extractor. These fit the groove and the claw is in the proper place.

Now, among the std 98's extractors, they do have some small differences depending on the cartridge they were designed to fit.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me. I don't read no stinkin books either; I do it like the Pinball Wizard did.
There is no difference in the pre 36 and the 36 bolts; the difference is the thumb cut and the gas escape hole in the 1936 model receiver wall. Neither, with the correct bolt, requires any cut; they both are like any other small ring Mauser; the inner ring and the extractor are the same plane. IF you install a Model 24 bolt, which will work, then the extractor protrudes through the inner ring, the depths of the extractor lip thickness. I just took some pics but they aren't clear.
Mark, put the pics on Photobucket then click on the bottom link, and paste here.
Ok, I see that zlr posted the story with pics, at the same time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
z1r, thank you so much. And the rest of you gentlemen. Thanx for your time and knowledge. Helped a lot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pictures helped a lot; thanks! I don't have any experience to contribute here, but it's interesting to read about. Thanks for sharing guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post z1r!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Just a foot note but the Siamese mauser requires an extractor cut also.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote