New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glass Bedding Issue
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ran into a problem a year or so ago I couldn't resolve using Devcon while bedding a Weatherby Vanguard and wanted to see if any of you may know what I did wrong.

I bedded the Vanguard with Devcon using inletting screws and electrical tape to keep even pressure on the stock and receiver while it cured. Once it was fully cured, I removed the barreled action from the stock and did final clean up. To check my work, I applied Prussian Blue to the recoil lug and receiver area and the tang to ensure these areas were making full contact with the bedding. I assembled the rifle and tightened the action screws. I removed the action screws and looked at both the stock bedding surfaces and the rifle. The Prussian Blue clearly showed the tang making full contact but only the right side of the receiver near the recoil log made contact with the bedding in that area. I rebedded it three times and ran into the same problem each time.

I finally took it to my local gunsmith who cleaned up the Devcon with his mill and rebedded the rifle using Acraglass gel. I applied the Prussian Blue to test his work and the receiver and tang areas were both making full contact with the bedding as they should with the action screws securely in place.

Unlike I did, I believe he used the action screws to hold the barreled action in the stock while it cured. I suspect my doing otherwise allowed the barreled action to setup in a stress free fashion in the stock. Then, when I tightened the action screws, the front screw torqued the receiver out of contact with the bedding. If I'm right, then by using the action screws to secure the action to the stock won't it cause the torqued action to setup in the Acraglass that way.

Am I correct in my assumptions about the action being torqued or could there be something else wrong? I mentioned this issue to my gunsmith and he said he believed the action screw holes were a little bit off. I hogged em out pretty good though before I tested my own work so I don't believe this to be the problem.

Any ideas or info you can provide will be greatly appreciated as I want to bed another rifle and don't want to go through this situation again if I can avoid it.

Thank you.

Posts: 449 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
acraglas gel is more flexible than devcon, in my limited experience. the acraglas gel could flex enough to make full(er) contact than the stiffer devcon.

maybe.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I bedded two M70s in HS stocks not long ago using Devcon and used headless action screws which I then inserted in bushings I mounted in the stock holes. There was no slop at all and the action would only go straight in. This way there is no option for the screws to torque when installing it in the stock. This of course provided your bottom metal is inletted correctly, which mine was.

I could also see delloro's point about the realative flexibility of acraglass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure, but Devcon may shrink more than Acraglas. Just a thought.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there wasn't a tiny little bit of epoxy out of place that was causing the receiver to bind up for you. That has happened to me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never tighten the screws up when you are glassing; if there is stress in the system, you have just insured it is permanent; Leave them a bit loose so the metal can relax until the epoxy is hard; then when you tighten the screws, the metal can't move.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the input guys. I bedded it three times and can't explain why it happened. I might try the next one with Acraglass Gel and see what happens.

Thanks again for the input.

Posts: 449 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote