Find
Notify
Tools

Clear coat on fiberglass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
I bought a McMillan fiberglass stock (McSwirley) and have spent the last week filling in pin holes and a few minor imperfections. The stock is 50% olive...25% black and 25% tan and looks nice and has a somewhat nice looking semigloss finish on it from sanding. Would be a really nice finish on a wood stock and that is kind of what it looks like at the moment. Problem is I'm looking for a flat matte finish on this and haven't messed with fiberglass as of the 70s. Don't want the finish just to be setting on top, from what I remember back when is you had to use a HOT finish to I guess burn into the fiberglass and it would stay there. QUESTION: Is there a modern day finish that I can spray from a can and reduce the finish to a nice FLAT, NO SHINE (MATTE) finish or would a professional car painter be the answer to a quality finish. Seems to me back then it had to be what I recall as a "HOT" finish so it would burn into the glass...got any expert fiberglass Corvette or stock painters who would have a detailed answer for me! Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post

This is the fiberglass stock I am referring to.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can paint it with anything; for best durability use a two part epoxy type, or automotive paint with hardener, but anything will stick as long as the surface is clean. I have painted a few composite stocks with the same paint I use on WW2 Jeeps; flat OD, code 33070. Works fine.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I repeated myself to many times.
Question is: It is too glossy but I like the marbled coloring that it is now...
Can I spray a flat base Polly on fiberglass and have it hold up and knock the shine off of it.
I do NOT want to spray paint it a different color.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I think that would work fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve try this stuff. It will do what you are trying to accomplish.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Helmsman spar urethane; I have used a lot of it and it is good stuff.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Rub it down with Scotchbrite or steel wool....please don't spray it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rub it down with Scotchbrite or steel wool....please don't spray it

I would try this first. If it doesn't work you still have the option to spray it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an amateur radio antenna maker who recommends their fiberglass antenna parts be coated . That's to protect the resin from UV. Are there any problems like that for stocks ? They aren't always exposed to the elements like antennas.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, was out of pocket a couple days.
LesBrooks, you win...I'm going to give that a try on a small section first and see if it's what I'm after. I think it will be.