New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt handle on an 03A3 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a remington 03A3 sporter I am slowly but surly getting ready for a scope. It is being set up for the mounts now, but the bolt handle will need to be reshaped for a scope.
The shop that is doing the mounts said to do the bolt handle will cost 150.00. is that a decent price ? ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
I have a remington 03A3 sporter I am slowly but surly getting ready for a scope. It is being set up for the mounts now, but the bolt handle will need to be reshaped for a scope.
The shop that is doing the mounts said to do the bolt handle will cost 150.00. is that a decent price ? ...tj3006

That depends entirely on how they do it.If all they are going to do is grind/cut a relief in the handle that’s a bit high. You might also consider that if the scope is low enough to interfere with the bolt handle chances are it is also going to interfere with the safety.

You can buy 1903 stripped bolts that have the handle already contoured to clear a low mounted scope. Numrich sells them for $40.00.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
tj

Dennis Olson did this one for me for a bit under a $100.00 a year or so ago. I haven't checked his price lately, but things do have a way of going up in price.

It would no doubt be cheaper to have someone forge it I would also think. Some smiths do an excellent job doing that. This bolt handle was forged from a military one.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work! beer

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The people who have the rifle now would use blocks and forge and reform it as well as a little grind and polish. in the 150 price. I like the ones in the picture...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just back from a gunshow. my friend Al Straitiff was there with a huge pile of springfield parts, bolts, firing pins galore, even a reciever or two. if something gets mucked up I'm sure he's got others. He was dumping stuff cheap. 603-532-9483 mauser parts too.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote