New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need metric screw for Sako ring
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a couple of screws for an old set of Sako scope rings. From a metric screw checker, I see that they are 3.5 x .6. Any ideas where I could get some of these? Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Ruger and Sako rings use the same thread screws (and the Sako screws can be a bit soft!).

at Brownells, you want item 080-924-464 6-40x1/4"xWH Torx Head Screw Refill Pak, fits Ruger & Sako

John

quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I need a couple of screws for an old set of Sako scope rings. From a metric screw checker, I see that they are 3.5 x .6. Any ideas where I could get some of these? Thanks!

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is definitely a metric screw 3.5 x .6 and not a 6 x 40. These are old mounts and everything on the rifle is metric, not imperial.

ANy other ideas?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the ones in my area are better stocked than others... but Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Osh’s, Lowes, and just about any other good hardware store will carry machine screws in both metric and standard sizes.

You might also contact Sako to see if they can supply them.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try McMaster-Carr online. If they don't have it, it probably doesn't exist.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick and HP: Welcome to the world of gun work guys-as a rule these things don't use regular threads. No such thing as a 3.5x.6 screw in Charlotte NC, MSC, McMaster, Brownell's, where ever.

There are these screws some where, I just have to find them. I will try Sako on Monday but was hoping some one here would know where to fins them

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Northeast Fastners, they list 3.5 metric in their product line. Also there is Bolt Depot they carry a lot of metric sizes.If they don't have them maybe they would recommend you to someone that does. Good Luck , I'm still trying to find a 8-26 thread to use as plug screws on a US Krag.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

Thank you for welcoming me to the world of gun work! Smiler

Part of working on guns is figuring out where to get stuff. My local Hardware store carries metric machine screws in sizes from M 1.6 and on up to about M 20.

Since you seem to live in a hardware handicapped area try this link:

http://www.textronfasteningsystems.com/products/sockets...socket_products.html

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THanks Rick! I will call them on Monday morning and see what they can do. Now I can take my tongue out of my cheek!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
THanks Rick! I will call them on Monday morning and see what they can do. Now I can take my tongue out of my cheek!

Better tongue in cheek...I normally have foot in mouth! Smiler

This company also sells torx-head screws in sizes you normally can’t find anywhere else.

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I looked up that size screw,3.5-.6 and could find no reference to them at all the specialty metric fastener suppliers.
Metric and Multistandard Component Corp.
Metric Screw and Tool
A-Metric and several other companies.
None ever heard of a 3.5 fastener.
I repair Graphic Arts Equip. and deal exclusively with metric fasteners. I have many suppliers both foreign and domestic. I have also been Gumsmithing for over 28 years. I am very well aware of the very odd thread sizes
in the firearms business. Hope you make out OK.
By the way Thanks Manhasset for the heads up on North East Supply. I see 3.5 listed but not in Socket screws. Maybe they can be special ordered.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 3.5x0.6 metric machine screw is nothing more than the metric equivalent (strength and application wise) to an American standard 6x32 screw. It is a fairly common size, and a quick search on the internet will bring up tons of places to buy them with just about any type of head you could want.

Y’all are making this a lot more mysterious and difficult than need be since I doubt very seriously that Sako made those screws by hand...they undoubtedly bought them somewhere!