Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Base for my X frame Smith 500
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Does any one make(Besides Smith which is to big and bulky) a compact type base that will work for Weaver style rings?Thanks!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
I tried with a old light alloy (Aluminiun) weaver style mount (B-square ? I dont remember) and My 500 S&W Hand cannon, after 50 shot aprox. cut the screws and ruin the stop slug, if you like the weaver style use the warne mount sistem in steel or the S&W mount (is a warnes made for) otherwise you use the Redfield or Leupold three ring sistem like is used in TC contender.Take a look a Brownnells.Good luck

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did read the "Weaver" rings part of your post but I have the same problem with a .460. I just bought a Leupold steel base with decent sized steel screws which should hold up, but I haven't mounted them yet so can't say for sure. However, it uses dove tail mounts but costs less than $20. Just a thought.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW after mounting it and being sure it will work, I intend to epoxy it to the top strap. May not help, but can't hurt.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
http://www.jackweigand.com/swhpmnt.html I just found this one in alloy or SS..any users?

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I"m glad you found them, I wasn't aware of them. Weigand has a great reputation and I would have no problems in ordering them. As a matter of fact, I might do that if I need another set.

xxxxxxxxxx