Find
Notify
Tools

Sako TRG-S questions
 Login/Join

<Rod@MRC>
posted
The TRG-1 bottom metal solution

Thanks to a recent volume order by McMillan of my new TRG-1 bottom metal, we have placed the order with our supplier and product will be available near the end of March. We've ordered a limited number of 416 Stainless and the rest are 12L14.

Call Kelly McMillan for information on the new TRG-S stock.

If you're interested in bottom metal only, send me email at rod@mountainofdreams.com.

[ 03-08-2003, 10:17: Message edited by: Rod@MRC ]

<Rod@MRC>
posted
Here's another interesting idea. If you want an Acrabond Laminate stock that matches the TRG-S profile, I think we can get that done too.

Drop-In Laminate...bolt in your action and go shooting...for approximately $500 (depending on grade of wood). You really should bed it first.

Semi-custom Laminate...shadowline cheekpiece, 4-panel checkering, acra-glas bedding, foreend, AAA wood or better...around $750 (depending on grade of wood).

Both options include the TRG-1 bottom metal. Check out www.acrabondlaminates.com for details on this superb alternative to composite stocks.

Send questions to rod@mountainofdreams.com

[ 03-01-2003, 03:10: Message edited by: Rod@MRC ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did anybody ever get this recoil lug problem straightened out? if you did it your self how did you do it? [Confused]

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me and my uncle just bedded mine...worked great, however, if you use Barnes CR10 (like I do) watch out for the bedding compound...CR10 may like to eat it up!!!!

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very good solution (field tested sucessfully for four years now).

1. Carefully drill small diameter holes (1/16th) all around the stock mounted lug, thereby weakening the plastic skeleton's grip on the moulded-in metal lug. Work it loose with visegrips and discard.

2. Measure the fore and aft width of the slot in the receiver. This will be .385 to .420 across.

3. Fabricate a piece of mild steel (12L14 or 11L17) that is slightly larger than the slot and .850 in length.

4. CAREFULLY grind this rectangular piece until is only .001 to .002 larger than the slot. Tap it into the slot. If you make it too small, rotate 90 degrees and try again (a 2nd chance). Tap it in until it bottoms squarely.

5. Now carve out a cavity in the stock where the recoil bit was removed. Be careful as the cavity will come close to the front guard screw hole. Once the cavity is large enough to accept the action with it's new recoil lug, bed the darn thing back in with steelbed or similar.

My TRG-S is an 8mm Remington Magnum, shooting 220gr Hornady bullets at 3000fps. It has about 800 rounds through the barrel since this fix. The action is often removed from the stock for travel and it returns to its POI within .5in every time. It is the most reliable rifle I own, one of those dead-on-all-the-time-no-matter-what puppies you never want to let go of.

Despite this, I still want to restock it in an Acrabond Laminate. But you can bet I won't be tossing the factory plastic handle until the replacement stock proves out.

[ 11-06-2003, 08:56: Message edited by: Rod@Acrabond ]

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod,
I'm another owner of a TRG-S in .375 H&H. We seem to be coming out of the woodwork.
Anyway, I looked at McMillans web page and they have a note that because there isn't any aftermarket bottom metal available they don't have a stock for them. Is this a case where they haven't updated their web page? The reason I ask is that you indicated they ordered your bottom metal. By the way, I think it's a great idea you have and I'm hoping to be one of your customers, be it via McMillan.
Thanks for the detailed directions for replacing the lug.
I sure hope your Accra-Bond stock is progressing satisfactorily. I'm anxious to see it when it's completed.
I also like your selection of cartridge (8mm Rem Mag). I have a Rem 700 Classic in that round, though I don't have a lot of use for it. I have it in case a serious elk opportunity arises. What are you going to to when the 220gr Hornady's are all gone? I have a limited supply of 225gr Barnes Originals put away for that special elk hunt. Mean while I practice with Speer 200gr bullets.
Thanks again.
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Bill:
Rod,
What are you going to to when the 220gr Hornady's are all gone? ...
Thanks again.
Bill

Yeah, I keep telling Rod this as well, but he just insists on banging away at innocent creatures as if there was no tomorrow! MT is not kind to a dwindling bullet supply! [Big Grin]

Have you TRG fans checked out the Acrabond Laminates website of late?? Because the way the website is constructed, I can't post a direct link, but on the above, main page you have to follow link: "What's new?". The next page will have a link for TRG-S aficionados. The TRG page shows the new TRG-S bottom metal, and Rod informs me that he is getting closer on the stocks as well. Just keep rattling his cage, he hardly has anything to do anyway. Heck, what is the difference between 2 hours sleep and no sleep at all? [Wink]
- mike

[ 11-06-2003, 15:57: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bill: Swift now makes an A-frame in 220gr. The 200gr shot very well (.6in) but the BC wasn't kind out to 300 yards. I have about 500 220 Hornady's left, thanks to a buddy who sent three boxes last year. At the rate I use them (4-5 antelope per year = 4-5 deer per year + practice and POI verification) that's still a lot of years of shooting.

McMillan looked at our sample and asked me to set aside 50 units for them. That was in June, and the units are still boxed and ready to go. BUT...look at it this way. Every bottom metal kit I have (at $90 each) could represent an ACRAbond TRG stock ($500-$1500 depending on options) once I have the pattern completed. Since I have only a hundred kits, I'm not begging them to buy.

here is the website link

TRG-S

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
O.K. thanks all for the help, I did the recoil lug job using Brownells Acraglass [Smile] This settled the rifle down now I get groups that make sense. I'm reporting this to Sako hopefully they will makem right at the factory.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote