Find
Notify
Tools

Bulged Case - .280 Rem. Ackley Imp.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
Krieger did a re-barrel job for me a while back and I just got around to breakin' in the barrel.

I noticed a very slight bulge in the cases upon firing factory Remington 150 gr. Core-Lokt rounds.

Details:

Rem. Model 700
.280 Rem. Ackley Imp.
26†#4 taper

Attached is a picture of the cartridges with the bulge and bright ring.

The bulge seems to be about 0.001†larger in diameter than the proximal and distal sides of the bright ring... at least by my crude measurements using dial calipers.

It’s also about 0.300†below the shoulder.

I contacted Krieger and sent them pictures. They were very nice about it and said they would quickly correct any error, even if it means rebarreling.

I bent a paper clip and used it as a "feeler" gauge. I think there might be a narrow groove before the shoulder starts... not sure.

What you think the cause might be?

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is the end of where the old chamber was.

Some spinning with a fired case and fine compound should take care of it.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Kreiger trued the action and installed a brand NEW barrel, so it is freshly chambered.

Also the thin bulge is outward on the case, indicating that there might be a groove in the chamber. In that case, I don't think polishing would work because you would have to add material to fill the groove, right?

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As that is the case, it is probably bad gunsmithing.

This is what happens when you do not clean your reamer often enough, or sometimes if you run it at too high of a speed.

What happens is a metal chip forces its way on top of the cutting surface and it galls a groove into your chamber.

It is irreperable.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhh...

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks, Spencer.

Krieger is calling me tomorrow.

They kindly agreed to fix what's broken... I can't ask for more than that.

Thanks,

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are measuring the ring after the brass has been extracted. This means the groove is bigger as the brass has contracted and the ungrooved (and hence narrower) part of the chamber will have effectively sized the ring on your brass.

Might be a few thou - I would want know how they would propose to fix it, too much for recutting the chamber and too deep for removal by polishing/recutting?

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, they said that if it was indeed a groove in the chamber they would, if possible, "turn down the barrel up to one thread length." But if not they would "expedite a new barrel installation."

I still don't understand how turning down the barrel would work. It seems as if that would only move the groove closer towards the bolt face. I don't think there is enough taper in the Ackley chamber to allow clean-up by resetting the barrel and running a finish reamer through.

Opinions, anyone?

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Kenati, Whoever chambered the barrel got sloppy or in a hurry and rolled a chip around the chamber. As has been mentioned earlier it is irrepairable and must be replaced to be correct. I'm sure that Krieger will make it right for you if you just return the thing to them. They make some of the finest barrels going and have a reputation to preserve. They might be able to run the reamer in a bit deeper and clean it up. Depends on the taper. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Here is the response I received from Krieger Barrels today. I paid what I thought was an above average price for them to do the work because I thought they would be meticulous... obvioiusly they weren't. BUT I understand that mistakes happen.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks!

--------------------

"Mike, Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday afternoon. I talked to our inspector about your chamber issue and he said that the ring you have in the brass shouldn't cause any issues but it is from a micro scratch in the chamber. He feels it is small enough that we could polish the scratch out without significantly increasing the chamber size. This is a fairly common practice to repair a scratched chamber. If you would like to send the barrel back to us we will certainly polish this scratch out. If it does not clean up to your satisfaction we will replace the barrel and re-do the fitting as well at no cost, but we would first like to try polishing it out. Replacing the barrel and re-fitting it to your rifle will obviously take longer. Please let us know what you would like to do."

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Seems like they are willing to work with you. I would let them try polishing the chamber. If it works fine if you don't like it or decide you can't live without a new barrel they are leaving that call to you. What have you got to lose but a little time.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Million dollar question: HOW DOES IT SHOOT? if it is a quarter inch shooter, live with it. if its a one inch shooter, get a free rebarrel if its a half inch shooter, see what the polishing does. You are getting a free chance if you did not get a shooter the first time. tough call, but I would be very pleased with their response, its honest, fair, and shows what a class act Krieger is.

Another option is to let them cut off up to an inch on the shank end, and rechamber from there. that would leave you with a 25 inch barrel, a few ounces lighter (4 is a bit heavy anyway) and you may lose 30 fps. but you get to choose.

Opinion of one who has several dynamite krieger barrels that shoot like a house afire.

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto, if it shoots, then let them polish it. If it is a 1/2moa tube as is, get e new one.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Well, that does it. Rebarrel it is. It's an average shooter, based on my limited testing.

I think the groove is too deep to polish anyways. If it were a factory .280 with a decent amount of body taper, then fine; a slightly shortened barrel and a polish job might work. However, I still don't think there is enough taper to polish a deep groove in the Ackley version to allow them to polish the chamber without making BANANA shaped cases. As a medical student, my money doesn't come easy and I paid for near perfection, so I guess I should expect the same in return.

-Kenati