New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fajen stock wood question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do anybody remember what kind of wood Fajen put on their stocks. The wood I an refering to is the pistol grip cap and forearm trim. Its a rather heavy redish brown and kinda oily and sanding dust is yellowish color.
And raises hell with my sinuses

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I have an old Fajens catalogue and they offered Padouk which looks quite red.
Thier other offerings were Rosewood, Zebrawood, Cocobolo, Fancy American Walnut and Birdseye Maple.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff
Its rosewood, google says that is does cause sinus problems. So that solves that. Thanks

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Cocobolo. Fajen Custom Shop Supervisor was one of my titles in the past. I have some Cocobolo in the shop and it is a real pain to sand without a dust mask. Best worked with acetone or a strong solvent to remove the oil from the surface before gluing. Best to make sure it has anchor points underneath and a screw to hold it on.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis
You sound like the man that can answer the question. This is an nos stock guessing 1970 or 80's butt stock is a rollover style. The forearm tip was loose so I put it back on with gorilla glue, the pistol grip cap is ok but should it need some kind of screw placement, it is an over size cap. simular to the one DeHass shows in his book. Its going on a Martini Cadet

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just went to my library and pulled the Fajen Catalog No. 83. Your stock is more than likely an Aristocrat style roll over stock with a large teardrop grip cap. All of the capsf and forends were originally glued on with ELmer's white glue. As a matter of fact, yours is the first one I have ever heard of coming loose!!! Normally they stay put.

However, if your wooden grip cap comes off. You may glue it back on without fear. Just remember to scuff up the flat and then use acetone to degrease. Then as a precaution, I would stake a nail in the bottom of the cap and make sure it has a corresponding hole in the gunstock to mate to. THEN glue it on. I mentioned a screw only because it is easy to use as an anchoring point while gluing. If done well, it looks pretty good too.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis
This is a no fear zone Wink The grip cap looks good I think dry storage may have contributed to the forearm cap coming loose it has two dowels lining it up so I don't think it will come loose again. anyway thanks for ID on the style of stock. I like the design even tho it maybe out of date style wise.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
My cataloge is #79 so a bit older still. I got it so I could order a stock but forgot to put USA on the envelope so it went to Warsaw in Poland and was returned about 3 months later.Not getting the stock was tha catylist for me starting down the road of making my own.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
Were you there when Eloise Atkins was there?
I think that was her name.

I had plenty of dealings with her when I was buying for a sporting goods store in the mid 70"s through the 80's (I think that's the timing)

She even sent me Poloriod pics of several stock blanks so I could have my pick of wood for my personal rifle. I still have the 338 WM that I build using that wood. They had a fine American classic style that they'd machine back then although most guys opted for more California-style stocks.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry,I was a late import. I got the job because the prior Custom Shop Supervisor criticized the owner to his face. He went to work for Wenig's just two blocks from my home in Lincoln, MO. I worked from 06-97 to close 10-18-98. I was a Fajen Dealer from 1990-1997, so I was familiar with most of the names when I arrived. Ms. Eloise Atkins was not in the plant when I arrived.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a full set of Fajen Catalogs at one time. There were lots of "stuff" that got thrown away when the plant was going to close. I'm kind of a history nut...Two moves after the plant closed, I had to relieve myself of some of my "collection". I kept the best pieces and those I was associated with while employed there.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

one of us
posted Hide Post
At one time many Fajaen stocks were around the gun shows, in the field, it was a very popular source for mid level custom rifles..Everyone I ever saw was usually black walnut and a few Claro. The other woods were more than likely forend tip and grip cap wood.

I viewed it as mostly Missouri and California ditch bank cork wood, although I have seen some real nice hard Claro on occasion. Lots of doable black walnut on the old Winchesters it seems.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only had dealings with Fajen one time. Believe the lady mentioned was who I dealt with. Sounds familiar.

Ordered a stock, semi inletted. Beautiful grain but, had a small crack on the toe. Called and explained the problem. "send it back we'll replace it". I sent a note with it: "IF you will be destroying this, I'd offer $15 for it and take the chance of wrecking it trying to fix the toe" "she called and said "you can have this stock for the $15, and we'll send them both back today". "you bet!"

Slight tap with a mallet broke it off, I glued it back on and finished it. Have to look for the crack on one side, other side can't be seen with the naked eye. Put it on my .300win, '17 Enfield, the other 'replacement' went on another one for an '06. Only thing I don't like about either one is I used Linspeed on the '06 and it turned way too dark for my taste, hard to see the real nice grain. The broken one I used TruOil and came out beautiful. For $85, then $15 + $15 shipping it back I'm tickled.

Too bad they're out of business.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started out using Fajan stocks back in the '50's and continued until they went out of business. I still have 5 or 6 rifles with Fajan stocks, two of which went with me to Africa and performed exactly as I had hoped.

This is my 7X57, built on a G33/40 action with a Douglas barrel turned to Featherweight contour. I asked for the stock to combine the buttstock from one design and the fore end from another, and this is how it turned out.

This is the record book Peters' gazelle I took with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one semi-inlet Fajen left from when they closed. It is beautiful English with ebony fixtures. It is for a post 64 Winchester 70. The only things about it is that it is inlet for a #4 barrel and has a small dent that I believe will raise out. I paid $100 for it. Just looking for the right rifle to put it on.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dennis great to see u posting here today hope all is well with --sending my blessings ur way Gar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gar! Celebrated 3 years since heart valve repair done last week. Working more now than when in MO. Hope to get caught up soon!

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC