New
Find
Notify
Tools

throat angle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to buy a throat reamer with the correct angle for a 30 cal 210 Berger. Suggestions?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bullet noses are secant or tangential ogives. A common throat angle is 1.22 degrees for the 30-06.
I don't know the type of nose for that bullet but you should ask Berger and order a reamer to match.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta keep in mind that different angles can result in different throat lengths

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lilja has a good discussion of this on their website along with some calculations for different bullet designs.

Generally speaking 1.5 degrees is a common leade angle on benchrest reamers. However, throat depth is probably more important.

What I have seen on the topic is all over the map from 1 to 3 degrees and everyone has their reasons. Some claim accuracy, others claim pressure, and still others claim throat life for whichever angle they choose. Or some combination.

I would talk with Berger, then talk to Dave Manson. Between those two sources, you will have talked with the bullet guys and one of the top reamer makers.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, this angle can be a deal breaker.

I had a brand new Brand X reamer for 270 Win, built a rifle for a client...wouldn't shoot worth a s....! Actually replaced the barrel twice with same results. Client was not happy and indeed lost all faith in me, never built him another rifle.

This scene was almost repeated a year or so later with another client. I replaced the barrel but used my old Hartford reamer..viola! damn near a tack driver

Brand X at that time used a "universal leed angle", which was somewhat different than SAAMI.

New reamer from JGS and I was back to being able to turnout accurate 270's.

Like to point out that this was many years ago, Brand X has since abandoned the universal leed angle.....but I still lost a good customer!

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Throat depth is an issue. I see this bullet needing at least .35 off the lands. My main objective is getting the base of the bullet ahead of the neck/shoulder junction and avoiding the dread doughnut.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why do you want it to jump over 1/3rd of an inch? Just curious.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Here is a table from Lilja:

THROAT ANGLES IN DEGREES FOR VARIOUS OGIVES

30 CALIBER: (.300″ BORE DIAMETER .308″ GROOVE DIAMETER)
7 CALIBER TANGENT -- 1.74 degrees
8 CALIBER TANGENT -- 1.63 degrees
9 CALIBER TANGENT -- 1.54 degrees
12 CAL SECANT .75″ LONG X .07″ MEPLAT -- 3.40 degrees

I don't know what the ogive is for the Berger 210 grain bullets (they have two shapes) but I'm sure Berger can tell you.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that. Should read .035.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Most thoaters are 1 degree 30 minutes.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote