New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Winchester Hi-Wall
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I do wonder why one would do this. The 25 Ackley Improved Krag is a real nice cartridge, approaching 25-06 ballistics and in a rimmed case appropriate for a high wall. Since I have a single shot rifle chambered in 25 Ackley Krag Improved I am naturally biased, but this seems like taking a classic rifle and turning it into a fad. Why mess it up with a rimless case? I would think you could sell this nice rifle and, buy a bolt gun in 25 WSSM, and have extra cash left over.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hubbell, Michigan, USA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The rifle is not mine.The owner says he is tired of ruining brass forming the cases.I did not inquire into his methods.I do not generally work on single shots but this fellow has been a good customer.The rifle belonged to his father and he intends to pass it on to his son.Believe I will try to convince him to leave it as is.Thanks for the help guys.Frank.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On those extreme fireforming chambers the case usually splits at the shoulder where the metal moves the most.

I have had good luck by putting oil on each case as it's loaded into the chamber when fireforming these.

I would leave the rifle as it is if the bore is good. Otherwise rebarrel it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ballard Rifle Company now lists a version of their High Wall in modern high pressure calibers with the receiver made of a chrome moly alloy. The originals were very strong despite being made of a low grade steel as evidenced by their use as test barrel actions by DuPont as late as WWII. However is the proposed re-chamber worth the possible risk?