New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 RUM on standard M70 LA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have the action and the bug for this round. Is the conversion possible or do you definately need the magnum length action? Thanks guys.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go ahead! [Smile]
I have one, buildt on a Win.M70, pre'64, stainless steel.
This rifle was chambered in .338 Win.Mag.I just removed the little "clip" thats welded in the back of the magazine well, removed some steel on the bolt-stop (so I could get the bolt all the way to the rear position), I rebarreled it with a Shilen barrel chambered for .338 RUM. I can get a maximum lenght on my .338 RUM cartridges, on 91,4mm. in that magazine. I can have 3 rounds in the magazine. (1 in the chamber, and 2 in the magazine)
I have a laminate,straight, classic, stock on it. With two crossbolts, and the whole action glass-bedded into the stock.
I love this rifle!! [Smile]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing you might want to think about. The ejection port is shorter on the standard mag. action as opposed to the long magnum action. I too put in a 300H&H magazine box and shortened the bolt stop to increase bolt travel. I did this so that I could seat the bullets out farther in my 300 Win. Mag. This was in a push feed model 70.
It worked well and would eject a fired case ok, but if ejecting a loaded round the overall length of the loaded round caused the bullet tip to hang up on the front edge of the port. If you had a misfire and wanted to reload quickly you might have problems.

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on that, Thunder Child.
That could be a problem in mine to. But I dont see that as a big problem.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply--I'm going to pursue this, I'll print your post. Thunder, thanks for the warning, I can't think of an easy fix to this one but I'll work on it. Appreciate the help.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote