Find
Notify
Tools

Who to refinish 1886 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I just came into a 1886 (inheritance) and the metal is 100% bare with only minor surface rust (gives ya a hint it has spent its life in the desert SW).
It appears that someone did heavy sanding (unidirectional scratches) on one action plate and maybe applied some cold blue.

Who out there is up to a decent refinish job on this rifle? I know it is likely to be worth more this way (original), but I want it with bluing to protect it here in the SE US.

Gonna need a buttstock also (yeah I'll try Numrich). If I can't get an old buttstock I will need a new buttstock and fore end, that is unless I decide to make them from scratch to match the new finish!

LouisB

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely check with Turnbull Restorations. Doug is very highly thought of in the old style bluing and color case hardening. Check their website http://www.gunshop.com/dougt.htm

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
Go to my site.There is an individual,that does Winchester,restoration.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an individual here in my part of the world, North Central Texas, that does restorations and is very good. Send me an email for his name and phone number. jjoh258677@aol.com

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote