New
Find
Notify
Tools

1917 Scope Mount
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This 1917 Eddystone came in to the shop wearing an old Redfield receiver sight. The owner would like a scope mount. I have not seen one profiled like this. The flat-topped rear bridge is 5/32 inch lower than the front ring. I would appreciate direction on what to do about a scope mount. I don't want to try to D&T without having a base or bases in my hands first.

Bill Jacobs

1917Eddystone by William Jacobs, on Flickr

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage 110??

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 110 in the shop for rebarreling now. It has same height rear bridge as the front.

Bill

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Earlier savages were two different heights . That rear bridge is probably going to be recontoured .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest getting some of the Leupold Gunsmith bases and make your own to fit

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I routinely use one piece Savage 110 base; they are not the same height ring to bridge. Flat bridge.
Not the ones I use anyway.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was gifted a 1917 Winchester a few years back that had been drilled and tapped for a side mount. I contacted Williams Gun Sight and they said they didn't make one. I then tried and bought one from Brownells that was made by Williams (go figure). If he doesn't mind a side mount you could go in that direction.

Hip

Posts: 1885 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weren't the Rem. M30 surplus M1917's? Something made for them should fit. I have a couple of M30's with Buehler mounts and also a couple Weaver All Steel mounts for M30's lying around.

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They might work, RR. Are the rear bridges for your Model 30's contoured flat like the picture? I don't have any in the shop to compare to.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
The Model 30 Express is round at both ends.

Look at an in-progress shot of Butch Lambert's 416 Rigby. It shows the scope bases made by Nick Hughes. Impressive work. Pretty far removed from bubba.

Posts: 7582 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, just checked mine, round at both ends and same height, sorry.

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I'm thinking. The old style that had the lower flat rear receiver ring. Leupold still makes it.
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Savage 110??

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen them contoured like this to fit a Remington 700 scope base. Brownells used to sell a fixture for contouring them as such.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
older 110's had different heights front and rear. The rear is flat. I had a set from Talley. I don't know if there was 5/32 's difference in heights, but you could call Talley and they can answer your question, or they may make gunsmith blanks.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a possibility nowadays because I doubt the mounts or scope could be found, but still an illustration of where there is a will, there is a way. My old war dog I picked up at a gun show a couple old years ago:

[/url]

The Stith mounts work well and the scope was zeroed to my reloads when I first shot it. The lens were quite foggy and I sent it to L&K to have it cleaned. The results are very pleasing and the old Weaver 330 M8 scope and rifle will shoot near MOA now. Sure wish this old war dog could talk cause I'd love to hear it's story....

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The most cost-effective way I’ve found for a job like that is to use Weaver bases. I have several dozen used bases in a bin. I sort through them until I find a thin one for the front ring with .860” hole spacing, and a thick one that is usually taller than I need for the back ring, hole spacing there usually isn’t a concern. Then I measure what thickness and radius I need to fit the rear bridge, and using a boring bar in my mill, cut the rear base to what I need. Doesn’t take long and gets the job done at the lowest cost.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some NOS Leupold Savage 110 one piece bases (old style w/flat bridge) around here somewhere. If that will help you let me know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to try them. I'll send a pm. Thanks!

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
The most cost-effective way I’ve found for a job like that is to use Weaver bases. I have several dozen used bases in a bin. I sort through them until I find a thin one for the front ring with .860” hole spacing, and a thick one that is usually taller than I need for the back ring, hole spacing there usually isn’t a concern. Then I measure what thickness and radius I need to fit the rear bridge, and using a boring bar in my mill, cut the rear base to what I need. Doesn’t take long and gets the job done at the lowest cost.

I can't help but believe that modified Weaver bases would be the way to go....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clemson:
I would love to try them. I'll send a pm. Thanks!

Bill Jacobs

PM Sent

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hook:
Not a possibility nowadays because I doubt the mounts or scope could be found, but still an illustration of where there is a will, there is a way. My old war dog I picked up at a gun show a couple old years ago:

[/url]

The Stith mounts work well and the scope was zeroed to my reloads when I first shot it. The lens were quite foggy and I sent it to L&K to have it cleaned. The results are very pleasing and the old Weaver 330 M8 scope and rifle will shoot near MOA now. Sure wish this old war dog could talk cause I'd love to hear it's story....

Love your outlook, Hook, and wish I'd had time to come and see your collection last month.

Cheers

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Love your outlook, Hook, and wish I'd had time to come and see your collection last month.

Cheers

Sure wish you could have as well. I hope that you got your fill of gumbo, seafood, and other New Orleans favorites!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just measured a 98 Mauser (Argentine) that has had the rear lump milled off, and the difference in height between the ring and the bridge is- you guessed it- 5/16", within a few thou. Your Enfield bridge look flatter, and if so, maybe you can knock off the hi sides on a milling machine to fit the difference in the crown, assuming you are better with a mill than I am. I measured down the centerline with a straightedge, using a drill bit for a spacer. An old Redfield one-piece base for an F.N. Mauser fits my 98 perfectly.

Hope this helps.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OP said his difference was 5/32.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A generous forum member is sending me some Savage mounts to try, and I have a couple of bases from another member that I can mill down, I think. I also ordered Leupold Gunmaker bases as suggested by Jim. I'll keep you all posted on what (hopefully) ultimately works.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious have you thought about using standard Burris bases or Leupold DD bases and Signature rings, high in back and medium or lows in front? The floating sleeves would benefit any slight variance.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Old Savages work best because the bridge is flat and you can easily mill the receiver bridge to match. No radii, contours, or other drama.
Flat.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it all depends on whether the customer just wants a scope mounted or a semi custom job done and at what expense. Truthfully I don't understand the want to mill the front bridge unless he is looking for a custom job done, there are many 1-piece mounts that attach only to the rear bridge (over the existing screwed in location pin) and only need to drill 1 (or if wanted 2) holes. Height difference between front and rear bridge is a simple fix. So why mill off the front bridge removing model and serial numbers unless needing a custom set-up. Just mounting a nice looking and fitting a useful scope is easy and doesn't require running up a big bill.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote