New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger options for a Mannlicher Scheoenauer MCA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How would you improve the trigger pull on a MS MCA single trigger rifle? The one in question now has a pull of 4 lbs and its much lighter than the other one I have at 6 lbs however the pull has a very long rough creep after the initial take up.

I would entertain a discussion of having DST's installed instead.

From another post I read that the adjusting screw changes the sear engagement.

Also any tricks to removing a full stock?

one of us
posted Hide Post
On an MCA, the DST is pretty much drop-in, if you can find one. The adjustment screw between the triggers does not lighten the trigger, it merely reduces take-up to the point that the trigger barely has to move to fire the rifle.

As I recall, the single trigger also has a screw to recuce take-up, but you have to remove the stock to get at it.

1. Get a set of thin bits from Brownells.
2. Remove the bolt.
3. Remove the forend screw and tip.
4. Remove the stirrup screw.
5. Remove the magazine.
6. Remove both action screws. You will have to remove the triggerguard to get to the rear screw.
7. Hold the rifle in your lap and turn it over, the barreled action should slide out from the stock. It is important to let them seperate evenly, do not angle the barrel.
8. If they are stuck together: Keep everything turned upside down in your lap. Use a plastic dowel and hammer to tap the inside of the magazine well, alternating fore and aft, while supporting the stock. They should seperate after just a few taps.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kurt. We can always count on you for the knowledge.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Savage, If you find a DST for that rifle and they have more than one, drop me a PM.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i hear the savage accutrigger is pretty nice. pick a caliber in a savage and ill trade you for that old MS.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KurtC has the system right. There is also a description of the procedure in one of the 1950s vintage Shooters Bibles, if I remember correctly.

Note, on the prewar M-S, the trigger bow is different for DST vs ST triggers, and the stock of a single set was not cut to allow a DST without some modification. On the Post war M-S, the trigger bow is elongated in the DST, and, as I look at a .280 Rem here, the single set trigger bow is not elongated. The floor plate of the trigger assembly/trigger guard is also different. Need to be careful on this task.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the MCA I was able to adjust the trigger by turning the adjusting screw with the trigger removed. To do this you just turn out the trigger guard. Remove the rear guard screw and take out the trigger assembly.

On the M 1952 with the trigger group so removed its easy to reach the trigger adjusting screw with a screwdriver.