Find
Notify
Tools

Question about attaching a Krag stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I am in the middle of a Krag sporter project. My question is what is the best method of securing the stock. There is only the one action screw and I would like to avoid using a barrel band. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can mount the barreled action to the stock without a barrel band and still have it be a solid set up?

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of metal in those actions...you could just locate where you would like a second action bolt to be, and drill and tap a hole for one in both stock and action (naturally you wouldn't have to tap the hole in the stock).

Or, I suppose if you never wanted to take it out of the stock you could always do a "glue-in". Wink

A third option would be to look at one of the rifles from the past which used a metal inlay into the rear of the action inletting, and was rigged so the action "hooked" under that plate (the Newton was one such). You could probably modify a Krag to lock in place the same way.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am in the middle of a Krag sporter project.

quote:
I'm planning a Krag sporter

pics.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. From the suggestions I thing the best bet is as SDH mentioned. I will have to run this idea by my smith.

I would post pics but it is off at my smiths getting the sights installed.

The rifle is going to be an open sight only rifle. The sights are an NECG island rear (1 standing 2 folding) with a NECG ramped front sight. The barrel is a Badger 22" 30/40 Krag in a M70 featherweight contour.

The plans are for this to be a very classic full stock. I am still looking for just the right blank for this rifle. Nothing fancy but either English or Turkish with great layout is what I am shopping for.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steven,

The answer is easy. Go with a rift or 3/4 sawn blank that angles to the left.

It will flow across and Bridge the solid area at the lower left of the action inlet area just like good quarter sawn wood will do so across the thin areas at a stocks wrist..

Just grab a Krag, tilt it to the left about 45 degrees and you can see what I mean.