THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Scope Rings and Bases from Mark Lee.........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted
Just got this flyer from Mark Lee. He is making them for the Winchester Model 70 and Remington 700 actions.

Prices to everyone: Rings $135
Bases $30

The flyer has his contact information on it.
CenterLock Scope Rings

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, that detail makes it easy to understand. I have to try them.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting concept. It would seem that the base recess surfaces would need to be pretty hard to resist wear from the "balls". I wonder how the ring height compates to a Talley.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When some of these guys figure out that a QD set of rings and bases needs very low bases then we will have what is needed..What good is a set of QD if they cover or almost cover the iron sights...Designers need to hunt more, but I suppose they don't have time....

The whole point of QDs is so one can use irons..but I suppose many use them in order to be able to use a secondary scope in which case no problem exists...

Griffen and Howe side mounts leave a clean receiver and will work with any iron sight set up...but they are bloody expensive, same for a good set of claw mounts..

We need some really good QD top bases that will do that, if its possible. I am sure there is a problem of having room to do that...I believe perhaps the Talbot R&Bs might do that but not sure..

I have seen another make of ball and socket rings and bases like these and I believe that is a good set up, but again the bases are too high to give you the kind of sight picture I need...

Perhaps for the African DGR a set of claw mounts is the only answer????

At any rate its worth a discussion...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The link didnt work on my PC.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP7 - Do you have Abobe Acrobat on your machine? You need it to view the page.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Al Talbot. He is making three sets of bases/rings for me this week. When they get here I'll measure them and post some pictures.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
When some of these guys figure out that a QD set of rings and bases needs very low bases then we will have what is needed..What good is a set of QD if they cover or almost cover the iron sights...Designers need to hunt more, but I suppose they don't have time....

The whole point of QDs is so one can use irons..but I suppose many use them in order to be able to use a secondary scope in which case no problem exists...

Griffen and Howe side mounts leave a clean receiver and will work with any iron sight set up...but they are bloody expensive, same for a good set of claw mounts..

We need some really good QD top bases that will do that, if its possible. I am sure there is a problem of having room to do that...I believe perhaps the Talbot R&Bs might do that but not sure..

I have seen another make of ball and socket rings and bases like these and I believe that is a good set up, but again the bases are too high to give you the kind of sight picture I need...

Perhaps for the African DGR a set of claw mounts is the only answer????

At any rate its worth a discussion...

I haven't seen any claw mount that came out cheaper than G&H and those G&Hs sure do the job, clean top, no obstructions

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G&H side mounts may leave the bridges and sights clsean but they are butt ugly.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been corresponding with Mark Lee as he emailed me about my concern of his mounts and it appears they may indeed be low enough to easily clear any iron sight and that certainly tweeked my attention...Guess I need to try a set of these..I do know Mark to be a top smith..

Africanhunter,
Griffin and Howe mounts installed are now over $400. Claws will run you $275 to $300 from either David Yale or Lee Labass..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Could someone please send me Mark Lees contact info. I want to order a set of these. Thanks.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a hard kicking and/or short stocked rifle (I like a 13" pull to work the bolt) a G&H allows you to set a long eye relief scope well forward.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best set of QD's I've ever seen.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Chuck, who made those? Ottmar? Burgess?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom Burgess

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill-

I, like GSP7, cannot get the link to work.

Is there another way to get this information posted?

Thanks in advance.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the old Kimber rings still avalible.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Are the old Kimber rings still avalible.

The origional Kimbers are getting hard to find and darn pricey. If you can find a set of the Warne Premiers they are the same ring. But they were discontinued a few years ago. They do pop up on Ebay from time to time.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks M1 tanker.

Ive been studying the different weaver style base rings.

On the warne maxima QDs , Can you leave the lever off or use a nice torx screw intead so you dont have the lever sticking out ? looks like there might still be a spline sticking out.

Looks like if I use the Perminate maximas and take the scope off the rings come loose on the scope tube and the cross hairs would have to be realigned.

Then theres the luepold PRWs design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like Mark Lees' contact also. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HTTP Error 404

404 Not Found

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the same response Root Beer. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone can post a picture of these Mark Lee rings

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
btt

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
btt

Anybody have these yet and did anybody happen to save a copy of the brochure that was linked here? Thanks.

one of us
Picture of WaffenfabrikHein
posted Hide Post
dempsey,
We have a set. We are eventually going to look at building the base integral on our double square bridge actions. It just hasn't made it to the top of the list. I do also have a .pdf of the brochure, if you sent me your email address I will send it to you.

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Karl, that's great, thankyou Smiler.

I received the pdf, thanks again.