New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock makers on AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having much difficulty locating a stockmaker to restock a Win 70 FWT. They don't return emails or phone calls or contact info is outdated. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

NRA
SCI & DSC
9.3x62
375 H&H
300 H&H
450 Nitro 3.25

Posts: 77 | Location: I been everywhere!!! | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
There are several very good stock makers in the US, some of them post on AR and/or similar forums.

All I will say is a word of caution about the stockmakers in general: Some are very pricey but the work is worth every penny. Others charge half as much as the top stockers and still do a very decent job, especially for the money. However, there are several stockmakers who present themselves as being top tier but whose work is only worth a fraction of what they charge. There are also some who charge mid to low range prices and do such a poor job that they should have their tools melted into manhole covers. Be careful. Look and handle work they have done. Are they building by hand from a blank or are they starting with a machine turned piece of wood and doing final fit, finish, and checkering? Either way can work for you but you should pay accordingly. I don't understand how someone who only fits and finishes a machine turned stock can quote the same prices as stockmakers who do it all by hand but they are out there.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here a person that has been building and checkering stock for years, I don't what schedule he has, here is e-mail address cymeier@att.net

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rodger wright:
Here a person that has been building and checkering stock for years, I don't what schedule he has, here is e-mail address cymeier@att.net

Clint is a good guy, honest, does quality work, and communicates well.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
give jim kobe a call - he'll talk to you - I'm pm his info to you

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The really good ones seem have all the work they want and do not waste time trolling the internet, nor answering questions.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Two options you should consider:

1. Do your own stock from a semi-inlet blank. Not that hard. Folks on here can help. Send out for checkering.
2. A Win Mod 70 FWT is a pretty standard pattern finished companies provide. Try Accurate Innovations. $1,000 will get you a nice piece of wood finished to you LOP with hand checkering.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The really good ones seem have all the work they want and do not waste time trolling the internet, nor answering questions.

Well said, sir; well said indeed.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Perhaps, but it seems he was looking for suggestions as much as hoping for a stock maker member to chime in. I see a lot of Smiths here and other places and never considered them "trolls" even when they do respond to such things. I've had great work done by people who I would have never knew existed if they didn't post here. Lets be honest here, people in the trade benefit here and so do members if they also share their wonderful work and on occasion some tips and advice.

I would just add when it comes to suggestions or looking for someone to do work, name what you want to spend. It all starts there.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
OK.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote