New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Mauser Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the "lip" (?) that is on the military b/m at the back of the magazine, that fits up into the action, also present on custom b/m? ...or is the top of the mag box flat, with no protrusion?

Thanks, Bob [Confused]

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
B Stephenson--

That's a secondary recoil shoulder and is called the magazine "tang". It is present on most custom bottom metal but I've seen some without it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack

Bob

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
Recoil shoulder?????? Maybe I've had it wrong all these years. I thought the "tang" and "boss" around the front guard screw of the magazine was to align the magazine box opening and the feed well on the underside of the action to bring forth all that magical mauser function. How is that "tang" sticking up inside the action going to help reduce recoil strain on the action or stock????? If the magazine assembly is inletted properly that "tang" shouldn't touch the action to any degree at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy-

So, in your valued opinion, is the tang needed?

Do you incorporate them on a Mauser box?

Thanks, Bob

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
IMO that tang is more for alignment than anything else.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
No doubt it's for alignment, primarily......

I was reffering to what you see on the (especially large caliber) commercial M-98s...... They bed the back flat of the mag box tight to the stock.
The boss that encircles the recoil lug extension engages with the action to transfer a portion of the recoil of the action to the mag box and thence to the stock just ahead of the second cross bolt, if one is there.

When looking at the Model A and B sporters it seems they were bedded as a unit, top and bottom, for recoil absorption instead of just the receiver.

Of course modern triggers dictate we cut away a lot of wood in the trigger mortice that would normally remain in the original sporters. It's probably a moot point.

I agree, the mag tang should not touch the receiver...in that direction lies flyers and ugly groups.

<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
B, Before you get out the hacksaw I would assemble the action one more time and load the magazine from the top side. If you remove that "tang" what else, if anything, will be effected in how you charge the magazine box with that "tang" gone????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Bob