THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens 311 - Firing pins (inertia or std?)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted
Hi, Does a Stevens 311a 12 ga. have inertia or regular firing pins? The retaining screws that hold the firing pins in place function as stops for the hammers. If I use a tool to push on the firing pins, they protrude quite a bit, but if I put the hammers in and push on the hammers to depress the firning pins, they are nearly flush. Neither firing pin is visually worn (OA length on one is .812", the other .813".) It looks to me like they are either inertia type or way too short. The hammers don't look worn either. Since they didn't look worn though I thought I better ask a pro.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Posts: 72 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is same as the firing pin on a Colt 1911 looks way to short!

A test used in the UK is to hold a copper coin against the breech face using your thumb and pull the trigger.

If it marks it then all is good.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
They are inertial.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted Hide Post
Thanks John...I'll put her back together as is!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There should be a small coil spring in place over the firing pin that holds it back from the breech face. They are available from Numrich, and can actually be installed without dismantling the gun (but it's a bitch, ask me how I know). Without that spring the pin will hang out through the hole, protruding beyond the breech face, and will hang the barrels up when opening.

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted Hide Post
Yep, they are there. The left hole was slightly peened from someone dry firing it. I cleaned the hole out, put the pins and springs in the hole and blue loctited the retaining screws in. Everything is free and works great. Thanks for the heads up though.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Happened to run across this thread and have the same problem with the pins hanging up and wipping across the spent primer. Srings look good. I might try a different spring. Thanks to everyone for talking old guns here.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote