Find
Notify
Tools

112 Savage Bolt head for .22 Hornet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted
I was considering having a switch barrel made for my Savage 112 action for the .22 Hornet.

The rifle was manufactured as a .223 single shot. This rifle was made before the short action 12 was introduced.

My question is regarding the use of the .223 bolt head with the .22 Hornet. It seems to me that the .223 bolt head, which is recessed, would work with most any RIMLESS cartridge with a similar head dimension.

But the .22 Hornet is a RIMMED cartridge. Wouldn't that require a bolt head that would be recessed only enough to cover the rim of the Hornet?

Call it a hunch, but I would guess the recess in the .223 bolt head is deeper than the thickness of the .22 Hornet rim, thus requiring a different bolt head that I cannot find.

Can anyone tell me if my observations are correct?

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Just bringing it back through one more time.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This subject has come up a few times on SavageShooters.com. The answers have generally been pretty pessimistic, but I have not kept track of the details. Your best bet might be to ask the question over there, if you have not already.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
If you want to convert it to Hornet and you're doing the work yourself, just headspace the hornet on the shoulder BUT, it would be far better doing it in the K-Hornet that way.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have never heard a positive response to barreling a Savage 110 series to a rimmed cartridge.

If you find a way, let me know so I can do a 219 Donaldson Wasp.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the insight, gentlemen. I haven't much time right now to check out any web site, but I will look into the SavageShooters site in the near future.

I do believe that a bolt head could be machined which would allow the Hornet cartridge to be fully inserted into the chamber, allowing the rim to provide headspacing (and the shoulder after fireforming), while making adequate contact with the cartridge base and the bolt face. I would have to assume that a longer firing pin would be required.

Another option would be to have a bolt with a flat "face"... with no recess, and machine the recess for the rim into the barrel. Head spacing would simply determined by screwing the barrel in till it makes contact with the bolt face.

Just a few thoughts. It seems "do-able", but it would require someone manufacturing the needed parts as a private venture. I guess Savage would rather sell their Model 40, as opposed to facilitaing a 12 or 112 switch barrel for the Hornet.

I guess I can understand that, but I have always wondered if the Hornet is a better cartridge for a Standard Centerfire Reciever, instead of the various, beefed up rim fire recievers which the rifle companies are so fond of.