Find
Notify
Tools

Enfield threads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
Is there another tool besides grinding a bit that will cut Enfield threads? I've been grinding HSS bits to cut those square threads, but I have to believe there's a better way.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enfield as in 1917?

You can get a tool and cutter grinding vendor to grind a carbide tool or something out of MoMax.

And you might find a part off tool and grind it to the right thickness.

quote:
Originally posted by ab_bentley:
Is there another tool besides grinding a bit that will cut Enfield threads? I've been grinding HSS bits to cut those square threads, but I have to believe there's a better way.

Adam

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, when I was doing machining full time, we used a tool called "thin bits" for cutting snap ring grooves. Try Google to see if they are still valid.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I'll take a look at those thin bits. I had considered a parting tool but haven't found any small enough.

Adam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is what I use; parting tool that I ground thin.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of cutting tools from Brownell's for square threads...don't know if one of them is the right width for Enfields, and I haven't even looked at them for 3 years now. But it might be possible to buy one of those and stone it thinner where needed (or otherwise modify it) to do the trick.

The way parting tools have a habit of breaking and sending shrapnel all over the place if you don't have a good large plastic shield, I'd much rather use something cut on a 3/8" or 1/2" basic tool blank.

I use stronger steel bit stock than HSS....danged if the type of steel hasn't slipped my mind at the moment, but definitely both common and stronger.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Parting tools only break if you try to horse them in, which I don't do when threading. I also grind tool bits for square threads and I have used both for Marlins and Enfields. And Springfields.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Those HSS bits from brownells are expensive to say the least, I tend to sat away from stuff like that if there is a better alternative.

I will look into the parting tool, thanks DPCD and others.

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think what you need is a .050" wide tool, ten TPI, .050" per thread and relief. Easiest to grind.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I've been grinding to .052" and I think it's 12tpi, but then again I've been wrong before but that's why I have the correct info written down...........somewhere.

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's 10 sq threads per inch.
You can look up the tool width in Machinery's Handbook. .052 sounds about right.

quote:
Originally posted by ab_bentley:
I've been grinding to .052" and I think it's 12tpi, but then again I've been wrong before but that's why I have the correct info written down...........somewhere.

Adam

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google for Ar warnerthey will gring just about any tool bit you want.You will probably have to specify square threads for a 1817 enfield. Do not know what they may charge but would probably be cheaper than Brownells. Frank

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Yo 10 threads per inch. Had to cut one yesterday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam,

We can grind one up for you. I have used the same bit for threading square threads for quite some time. (5 years?) Stone the top between jobs.

Also consider looking into a small top-notch bar for your lathe. You can do threading, grooving, etc. If you buy a set we can grind a carbide grooving insert down to the .052.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote