New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sherlock Holmes and back yard gunsmithing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Sherlock Holmes and back yard gunsmithing
« on: Today at 10:37:49 pm »
Reply with quote Modify message Remove message

Lately my Spencer carbine (Taylor and Co repro in 45 Colt) has been acting up. In two matches lately in locked up and would not feed costing me multiple misses. When I tried later, no problem. Figuring it might be dirty I took it apart today for a really thorough cleaning and discovered some broken parts and a missing spring. The spring fits at the front of the firing pin and pushes it back after firing. What was happening was the firing pin protrusion would not all the block to slide past the cartridge and lock up. It was about the right size so I took a chance, took apart a ball point pen, trimmed the spring and fitted it in place. BINGO! Working Spencer. I also called Taylors and ordered replacements for the broken parts and a new spring. I'm not a gunsmith but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express lately...

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many rounds did you have through it before it broke

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've had several guns over the years that ended up with pen springs. Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
does that mean that indeed the pen in mightier than the sword? Big Grin Eeker faint

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
2020 animal coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
How many rounds did you have through it before it broke

Probably 2000 or so rounds. I got the rifle new in 2008 and it has been my main match cowboy action rifle since then. As a match rifle it gets run hard...

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holiday Inn Express

Meanwhile, in NW Colorado. Little Billy Bubba, the desk clerk at the Holiday Inn Express amazed the cook and a group of hotel staff by repairing his pen with a spring he stole from a guests rifle which was left unattended in a room over lunch . . . . . . . . . . . . shocker

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
quote:
Holiday Inn Express

Meanwhile, in NW Colorado. Little Billy Bubba, the desk clerk at the Holiday Inn Express amazed the cook and a group of hotel staff by repairing his pen with a spring he stole from a guests rifle which was left unattended in a room over lunch . . . . . . . . . . . . shocker

LMAO