New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM barrel life?
 Login/Join

<Celt>
posted
I am looking to gather some data on the 300RUM factory and other barrel life.
What kind of barrel life with a factory barrel and and match barrel are you all getting before you have throat erosion that starts to degrade accuracy?

I have data from 6 rifles with factory barrels, but have no clue about the cleaning regime and such. I have one with a Walther barrel too. Just need some more input please

Thanks
Celt

posted Hide Post
Celt,

I don't think anyone has had a .300RUM long enough to know what the barrel/throat life is.

FWIW, my .300Wby is over 20 years old, and it still shoots MOA or better with handloads.

Don't shoot it rapid fire, and it will last a long, long time of average use.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Celt>
posted
The data I have for the 6 factory barrels are between 400 and 600 rounds.
I have no idea how the guys cleaned or shot the rifles. The lower shots were in the factory guns that started with a crooked chamber. Accuracy degraded very fast in those.

The walther has 1300 rounds of hot handloads and is still sub 1/2 minute.

I have a feeling that the normal factory barrel will be done at no more than 800 rounds.

I just need more input [Smile] [Smile]

Thanks
Celt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any cartridge that burns large quantities of slow burning powder is harder on barrels than, say, a .222 Remington. But that's what the RUM's take. Just allow the barrel to cool sufficiently when shooting long strings and don't worry about it. If you take good care of it, it may outlast you.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
<DFC>
posted
Celt, seems to me the best place to get an answer to your inquire would be in and around the long range competition crowd, or maybe the 1000 yard bench rest guys.

Dan

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Celt is the LW barrel the one you did for Hoss?
If it isn`t I`ll have him contact you on how his is doing. I`m sure he has put more than a few rds down it by now. The last I talked to him he was haveing a ball popping ballons @ 7 /800yds.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote