THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Rem 700 221/17 Fireball follower, magazine block, and spring availability?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 221/17 Fireball follower, magazine block, and spring availability?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m considering putting together a fireball on a rem 700 223 action. Is there an outfit somewhere that sells magazine assemblies for fireballs? Can one maybe order them direct from Remington? Thanks.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spring an box from Remington follower from PGT

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive not checked yet but was told the extractor has a different location on the bolt

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elton:
Ive not checked yet but was told the extractor has a different location on the bolt

Any idea why that is?

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not the extractor, it is the ejector. The fireball has it located in a different position for positive ejection. If you use a standard 223 action for this, the cartridge will hit the scope and bounce back into the loading port.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 221 FB made on a Rem 700 223 action.
It was a total failure in that it would not feed or eject properly. You might get the feed part fixed with correct mag box and follower. I don’t think you will get the eject issue fixed with that action. The location of the he plunger and extractor are located differently on the factory fb rifles.
There are at least two solutions. One is find a Rem 700 action that was factory chambered to a 221 or 17 fb, and use it.
Or more difficult, find a Sako A1 action and rebarreled to a FB case.
I have an A1 that was a 223 and is rebarreled/chambered to a 221 fb. And I have a 20 VT that was a Rem 700 LVSF chambered in 221 fb.
Both function just fine.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for setting me straight, fellas. I wonder if PTG can make bolt with the proper plunger placement? Might have to make a call.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, putting a little Fireball in an action large enough for a 7mm SAUM is leaving a lot of room for slosh and lost motion. Not quite like the old Model 70 in .22 Hornet, but approaching it in terms of mismatching an action and a cartridge.

Two actions which are great with the Fireball and need no modifications for it are the Sako L46/461/A-I (pricey) or the Zastava Mini Mark X. I have Fireballs on both (as well as a .20 Vartarg on an L461) and both are great. The Zastava is less smooth and polished and will need a replacement trigger, but mine shoots more than tolerably well.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
I’m considering putting together a fireball on a rem 700 223 action. Is there an outfit somewhere that sells magazine assemblies for fireballs? Can one maybe order them direct from Remington? Thanks.

Magazine: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1166120

Mag Spring: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/86420C

Follower: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/86210E

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:

Thanks Bobster! I was under the impression that the spring and followed for M700 Fireballs is shorter than 222/223?

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
I use a single shot adapter for my 20VT on a 700 223 action. It ejects OK and does not hit the scope.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they are shorter it is not very much. The .221 case is only .3 in shorter than the .222. The nose of the follower and the spring legs can be shortened. If the cases hit the scope tube try higher than normal rings.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:

Thanks Bobster! I was under the impression that the spring and followed for M700 Fireballs is shorter than 222/223?

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did some poking around on the net regarding the ejection issue with using 223 actions/bolts. Some folks have simply shortened the plunger spring a little and have gotten acceptable ejection. Sounds worth a try, as original 700/7 rifles and actions are now quite pricey. To make matters worse, my lefty 15 year old son has decided he just has to get a lefty 22-250. I think I’m going to tell him to hit up the neighborhood for lawn mowing gigs!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt i have 2 rem 700 221's. i'd like to sell them together. accurized by Clarence Hammonds in Red Lion ,Penn. you can check his web site if interested. i have about $2500 in them and will sell them for that including cases, mounts, dies and load work.low round count and in my opinion pristine condition. both are in remington mountian rifle stocks. one a McMillan fiberglass ,the other a remington wood laminated stock. if interested pm your cell# and i will tx pictures and talk with you. Phil Brousseau