THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Pillar bedding sleeves for MRC1999 (or Win. M7

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Pillar bedding sleeves for MRC1999 (or Win. M7
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks, that may work, but doesn't that assume that the angle of the inletting for the floorplate matches the angle of the floorplate in relation to the line of bore when it's attched without the stock?

I would think that it would be desirable to have the angle of the pillars match up to the assembled action out of the stock, and then adjust the inletting for the floorplat afterwards.

I ran nto this problem once before trying to put a M96 Mauser into a plastic stock. The action/magazine assemble was fine out of the stock but the stock's depth for the magazine well was too much and wouldn't allow the receiver to fully contact the pillars and well correctly resulting in the bottom metal being pitched.

I have confused myself. (g) Hope you understand what I'm trying to get across.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I do understand what you are talking about.

You are correct that I am assuming that the stockline matches the bottom metal. Why wouldn't it, the stock is what establishes the angle of intersection to the action. Well, that's not exactly correct, but it doesn't matter as once the stock is inletted it is. Another thing to consider is that it isn't that critical. In fact, I never bother with trying to make the pillars fit the bottom metal exactly. I grind to the scribe line like I said then scribe another line .040-.050 below that. Then glass bed the bottom metal. Remember, the purpose of the pillar is to keep the screws from crushing the fiberglass stock or to make for a more stable bed for a wood stock. My method covers both.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TTT.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was my experience with the aformentioned Mauser that the stock line doesn't always match the bottom metal. In this instance I am going to be fitting the M1999 into a Win. M 70 stock. I know the dimensions are supposed to be the same but I doubt they will be. I figured that if I can get the angle of the bottom metal transfered to the pillar then I can bed the pillars and cut them down from the top using a piloted counterbore. I have already done this on the Rem.700 but in reverse. The pillars were mounted to the action, bedded into the stock and then cut down to the proper length from the bottom using the counterbore. Then I glassed in the bottom metal.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. When pillar bedding wth aluminum pillars is the idea to get a perfect pillar to bottom metal fit or is it OK to cover the bottom of the pillar with some glass to get a good fit to the bottom metal?

If this is OK then I can file the pillars down and use glass to make up the imperfect fit, no?

Rob

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Drill the pillar holes in your stock. Take those same pillars and rotate 180 degrees. Take your guard screws and attach pillars to the action. Drop the action into the stock and apply a couple of wraps of surgical tubing to hold the action in place. Now take a scribe and mark the stockline height on the bottom of the pillars. File these to shape and you are ready to go.

From here on out it is a standard pillar bedding job.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skim bed over the pillars, seems like a consensus forming, thank you.

Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a benchrest shooter, both point blank and long range. I pillar bed all my rifles. The purpose of the pillars is to prevent compression of the stock. I have found that rifles shoot better if the action or bottom metal do not contact the pillars. I always cut the pillars short and skim bed over them. MHO, FWIW

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote