New
Find
Notify
Tools

Niedner Sporter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took a few pics to send to Michael Petrov, thought some here might like to see them. Three quarters of a century ago if you sent your springfield NRA sporter to Niedner this is what you could get back.

OK, tried embedding the pic here, evidently I ain't smart enough for that, try this.

niedner springfield

The one with the scope blocks is a .22 hornet, the last one is the 06.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Just curious...

The Hornet Springfield has about a 12" LOP.......was it stocked for a lady perhaps?

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LOP on both is 13 3/16. Must have been my crappy picture editing. Now that I look at it, it does look kinda short and fat. It is the same as the 06. My guess is that they made the LOP as long as they could get out of the original stocks.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks MHO

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shelhamer stocks. VERY nice.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save the pictures to show your grandkids what a "blue" rifle looked like.
Very nice!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
I took a few pics to send to Michael Petrov, thought some here might like to see them. Three quarters of a century ago if you sent your springfield NRA sporter to Niedner this is what you could get back.

OK, tried embedding the pic here, evidently I ain't smart enough for that, try this.

niedner springfield

The one with the scope blocks is a .22 hornet, the last one is the 06. John

John, there's something I have been curious about for eons, and have never been able to resolve! Was that guy's name ADOLPH O. NEIDNER or NIEDNER? I have seen it both ways from equally credible sources. If your rifle is marked by the maker, PLEASE RESOLVE THIS NAGGING QUESTION for me!

Nice rifles, BTW!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, they are not marked. I was not sure myself, so I just grabbed the nearest book which happened to be Brophy's Springfield book and spelled it the same way he did. I am sure Michael Petrov knows the correct spelling.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]John, there's something I have been curious about for eons, and have never been able to resolve! Was that guy's name ADOLPH O. NEIDNER or NIEDNER? I have seen it both ways from equally credible sources. If your rifle is marked by the maker, PLEASE RESOLVE THIS NAGGING QUESTION for me!Nice rifles, BTW!![/QUOTE]

Adolph Otto Niedner (Need-ner)

The misspelling is so common now that everyone now uses it, even Brownells who sells a Niedner type buttplate.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:
John, there's something I have been curious about for eons, and have never been able to resolve! Was that guy's name ADOLPH O. NEIDNER or NIEDNER? I have seen it both ways from equally credible sources. If your rifle is marked by the maker, PLEASE RESOLVE THIS NAGGING QUESTION for me!Nice rifles, BTW!![/QUOTE]

Adolph Otto Niedner (Need-ner)

The misspelling is so common now that everyone now uses it, even Brownells who sells a Niedner type buttplate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote