Find
Notify
Tools

Surface Grinding Actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
For those that surface grind actions, specifically Mausers and the like, if you wouldn't mind showing off your grinding fixtures with a picture, I'd appreciate it.

I am building a fixture for the surface grinder mimicking FALGrunts set-up but would like to see others.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you could take a look at Mark Stratton's book starting at page 80.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I don't believe i have his book. It's it a published book?

Adam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
It doesn't look like I'll get to read it either, as he's not printing any more copies. It's a shame too, I found the website and man alive the cover on the book is just packed with good relevant info.

Adam

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I agree with you one the good ones. This is more for the actions that need a lot of TLC. Like a certain VZ24 I'm coming in to with TIG all over the SOB.

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know if I would be violating anything if I made you a copy of the relevant pages.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to brake any copy write laws, but that would be a great help. I put a WTB add in the classifieds but doubt it'll get any play.

ADam

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the mandrel threaded for the front ring or just fit to the bolt raceway?

Thanks.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Don, that's identical to the one I had planned. A few questions, did you surface the plate and is there a trick to keeping the center in-line to the collet holder?

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I didn't grind it as my grinder isn't long enough. Sarret makes ground plate but I was too cheap and it is mostly for cosmetic reasons not truing. For lining up just turn a point on a bar and tighten it up. The tailstock just keeps it from flexing under load. I use the same jig in the mill. Used to recontour lots of 1917 enfield and the mill makes faster work of getting it close.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
No I didn't grind it as my grinder isn't long enough. Sarret makes ground plate but I was too cheap and it is mostly for cosmetic reasons not truing. For lining up just turn a point on a bar and tighten it up. The tailstock just keeps it from flexing under load. I use the same jig in the mill. Used to recontour lots of 1917 enfield and the mill makes faster work of getting it close.
Don

Thank you Don. I too am planning on using this in the mill for items like 33/40 cuts and charger humps. Your mandrel, is it shop made or is it a hardened ground precision rod with bushing? I have both but will probably use the threaded mandrel.

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ab_bentley:
Duane,

I agree with you one the good ones. This is more for the actions that need a lot of TLC.

Selected top-end riflesmiths grind even the pristine orig. mauser actions, and for very good reason.
It goes hand-in-hand with the level of precision geometry they produce on the other metal components in the build.

ALL a person has to do is investigate the high-precision/attention to detail, Mr.Echols installs his proprietary mounts
with- and it becomes easy to understand why grinding is done and is deemed necessary.

also,... This is the first custom M98 build i ever kicked off some 20yr ago,
The riflesmith involved would be a fool not to grind the action up to precision spec. to match that of:
the custom precision bases,
trued/re-machined Conetrols,
excellent high precision Rabourn shroud
the custom bottom metal
and to better facilitate the high level of stock inletting.
_ _
the action is squared & sharpened-up allover to match the defined edges & trueness of all the other modern metal parts,
(including barrel reinforce edge & muzzle).as is the stocks exposed edge on the righthand port,also made well defined.
THE rifle is holistically planned and built to compliment itself from tip to toe.

I really dont care that the action no longer says DWM Argentine 1909 ,.. on the side wall.
Its an insignificant small trade-off for what the customer gets in return in the final product.
Now The reality is,
its a top tier build M98 hunting rig, but a step above most ( on par with the superb Echols Classic builds),
since like the Echols, its genuinely of a 'no compromise' modern contemporary build standard.

notice how the trigger actually closely follows the Radius of the inside rear of trigger guard,
rather than just looking like a bent stick in the mud.

the B-handle is not a batch run item , but a 'one-of' full custom creation, which has more trim-elegant dimensions
than one normally sees.....It better compliments the slim proportioned barrel, which is 24"(.515" muzzle )

The ring adjust screws in the bases are smaller dia. than normal,to help make the rifle look more refined.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Hot damn that's nice.

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought this one from Ted Blackburn:

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Blackburn/Kobe jig. It looks alot like the one we used when I was in school, except the one in school had an expanding mandrel. That jig has some mass and looks like it was built to take wheel clearance into account. That helps shorten up the overall set-up.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The expanding mandrel shows up in the first picture. The pins on the right align the flats on the top of the rear bridge to the correct 30° each side.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
That is a nice rig, very simple.

The handle, does it have a limited rotation? I noticed the pins protruding from the right hand side.

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When extended, the pins align the back lever to orient the top flats (30°). It will rotate a full 360°

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh! Now I see it! The one at school didn't have the limit pins,,, they're a good idea.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
That's a really great idea.

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax, You may not want to go posting pictures of that all over the net, especially considering the felony destruction of a serial number under federal regulations. It is gorgeous though, thanks for sharing.

Adam, I have Mr.Stratton's book if you would like to peruse through it.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote