Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells' Mauser Barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys,

I did a search for posts on Brownells short chambered mauser barrels but came up empty. Has anyone used one of these yet? If so, any opinions? Anyone know who makes them?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes i have a 308 on a fn mauser/israeli....
call and ask them...i don't remmeber who it was.

AKA: mike in co

only accurate rifles are interesting

Posts: 55 | Location: aurora,co | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanM:
Hi guys,

I did a search for posts on Brownells short chambered mauser barrels but came up empty. Has anyone used one of these yet? If so, any opinions? Anyone know who makes them?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

You want to know who makes their barrels, nothing like going to the source.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...LARGE_RING_MAUSER_98

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
It's probaly these barrels he is looking at: SHORT_CHAMBERED_MAUSER_BARREL

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If you have access to a lathe it would be much better to go with a deep chambered barrel & simply face the the breach.

I do not like short chambered because no two reamers are EXACTLY the same dimensions & can lead to problems.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Brownell's short chambers, but A&B short chambers are rough chambered and not intended to be used as is.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:

Love those "Mystery Meat" barrels... Personally I would like to know the maker, not that it would make any difference. For $83.00 it's got to be a dandy! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I'm guessing McGowen or Shaw but that's just a swag on my part. The price matches my shadetree gunsmithing abilities maybe I'll give one a try.

Regards,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
neither of those two when i got mine. i talked to the bbl maker and brownells at the time. i was able to get my finish reamer from the same people that the bbl maker was using.
make is just blank right now.

mike in co

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was told they were shaws many yrs. ago, if they still are, i don't know. my 6.5-.270 improved has one of thier barrels, light varment profile(.700" at the muzzle) and it just shot a .463"-3 shot group ... while i was forming cases before deer season...nothin' wrong with that. it has also done 5 shot one big ragged hole groups a few times. i have a pic of the .463 group and when/if i learn how to or my daughter has time to, i'll post it up.
those barrels are just fine for your average, decent hunting gun, i would say. IIRC i paid just over $1100.00 parts and all, for my 'smith to true up and lap the lugs on the action, drill&tap, install/chamber/crown barrel, do the bolt handle, checker the boltstop, install pushbutton floor plate release, put a wisner style safety on the shroud polish and hot blue, put a timney on it and then put it all in a richards laminated stock, glass bed it and finish it , with an ebony tip and steel cap. i think that price included the action. too...but that was back in about'89 . boy, that sounds like allot work for $1100.00 with today's dollar....... that was my first,.... "custom"....!!

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:

Love those "Mystery Meat" barrels... Personally I would like to know the maker, not that it would make any difference. For $83.00 it's got to be a dandy! Big Grin

I'd be bettin they are either Shaw, or Green Mountain. IIRC, Green Mountain makes the Adams and Bennett barrels for Midway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
wilson...i think...just that the others do not ring any bells, and i had to contact the maker when i was ordering mine.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
iwas talking to my gunsmith just this afternoon about htis very subject because he is the one that put the brownells barrel on my 6.5x.270 and he mentioned that greenmountain is presently making brownells barrels..and that douglas was making them several yrs. ago when i got my gun from him. i didn't know douglas made a "lower quality" barrell at any time. ...i guess they have to do something with the ones that don't spec out real good!

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote