New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Mod-70: Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a Mod-70 'Classic FWT' in excellent condition. In fact, it appears to have been fired very little. I am concerned with one issue regarding the smoothness of bolt travel. With the safety 'off' the last 1-2 inches of the bolt travel is very rough / sticky, and bolt handle requires some effort (more than normal) to rotate to the locked posistion. However, with the safety in the middle posistion the bolt closes easily and the bolt handle rotates smoothly to the fully downward posistion. I have dissasembled and cleaned the rifle and did not find anything that stood-out as a problem. Please offer any suggestions regarding this issue.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the problem is a full 1-2 inches, and not just the last fraction plus the bolt closing?

With the safety off the sear and firing pin engage, and you are actually fighting the firing pin spring resistance closing the bolt. If the lugs are rough you could feel a lot of extra friction. With the safety in the middle position the firing pin is held farther back and does not engage the sear, so the pressure between bolt lugs and receiver is not there. I would not expect it to affect much bolt travel though...just primarily the closing effort.

Is it a new stainless FWT? My stainless rifles are a bit 'stickier' than similar carbon steel rifles.

Try some grease just at the back of the bolt lugs and see if the effort is reduced. If it is rough machining it may smooth up with use, and/or you can have a 'smith lap the lugs. You'll want to not leave much grease there in the field though...it can attract grit...not good!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spudstor,

I know that this has nothing to do with the safety, but it might be worth looking into.

Did your rifle come with scope mounts installed? If so, one or more of the scope mount screws may be a bit too long, thus interfering with bolt movement. Even if you can't feel the ends of the screws protruding into the action, you might want to try filing down the ends of the screws just a little bit and see if that helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not a stainless FWT, but a blued 30-06. I checked the action again and it is definitely the last inch to half-inch of travel. I will try applying a lubricant to the rear face of the locking lugs and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at the rear action bolt. IF it's too long it may be sticking up and catching on the rear of the fireing pin.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote