New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 roberts help?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On my 257 when you put the action back in the stock the screws seem to tighten down so far they put pressure on the floor plate, like each end where the screws go aren't thick enough in the stock "help or ideas please".

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I don't understand what you are saying. Can you make it a little clearer please?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the screws have been overtightened all to hell in the past & compressed the wood too far. You could try bedding the action & bedding the bottom metal too at a sensible screw tension to give yourself something to tighten them against or alternatively pillar bed the action whereby basically you cement alloy or steel tubes into the stock the correct length to fit between the action & the bottom metal, When you tighten the screws against this nothing can shift. If you can tell us what sort of rifle you have someone might be able to chip in with a better idea than my general one.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you need to pillar bed and glass bed the stock. it's actually not difficult.