THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Williams firesight front blade replacement....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You guys have been real helpful here to me...

I have a new BAR and got firesights to replace the metal ones. I have 2 questions if you would please...

1. Is the bead pretty fragile? I don't want to put the factory cover over the sight because it's easy to pack with snow..but maybe I should to protect it.

2. I knocked the old sight out with a wood dowel pin. The new one goes in slightly snug but not tight enough to trust it. Would a dab of blue loctite be good to apply to both sides of the dovetail to give it a little extra hold?

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a firesight on my .375 for some time and it has held up well. I don't use the hood because I want the added light gathering in deep woods and at dusk.
Never tried locktite but it works in other applications.
I would say you have the solution in hand.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a firesight on my Thompson-Center Classic 22, and it's held up well.

I don't care for it, though. It's a round bead shape, and I don't care for that - I find it's harder for me to get a repeatable point of aim than from a flat-top patridge type. I'm trying to think if I'd ever be able to make use of a glowing front sight - maybe aiming up into a dark tree canopy after squirrels?

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote