New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45ACP springs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Colt Gold Cup in .45ACP. My question is, what weight spring should be in the pistol when using Federal Match ball ammo. I am just trying to not have to buy all of the springs to get it right.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
A 16lb recoil spring should work fine.

ZM

<stans>
posted
Every gun is a rule unto itself. A 16 pound spring should be ok, as it is supposedly the factory rating for Government models. If you are shooting light loads (185 grain target) you may need to drop to the 12 to 14 pound range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What I encountered was that the roll pin for the rear sight broke and was mission in the middle of a pistol match. Naturally that match was a loss. I took the gun to my local gun shop and they said the recoil spring was too light. They installed a 18 lb. spring. He also said that, after talking to him, that there was too much recoil, and to go to a heavier spring. The Federal match ammo is 185 grain metal case wadcutter bullet #45b.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make a practice of replacing the recoil spring every 1000 rounds - even the good ones wear out. I shoot mostly 230 grain stuff at 850 fps. I've heard from several sources that the rear sight is a weak point in the Gold Cup, having always wanted one, but never had one, I don't know... How's that GC shooting? Guy

[ 01-15-2003, 02:24: Message edited by: m700 ]

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
The shooter weight and arm size will make a defernce. If you are small you need a lighter spring.
Steve

<stans>
posted
The roll pin in the Gold Cup rear sight has a reputation for departing the slide. Have the roll pin replaced with a solid pin. Solid pins don't compress like roll pins.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
16 lb spring

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote