THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Has anyone seen or shot the Briley Trans Pecos rifle?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone seen or shot the Briley Trans Pecos rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A recent article by Craig Boddington in Guns and Ammo showed a very diferent looking rifle, a bolt action with a two piece stock attached to a huge metal action called the Briley Trans Pecos. I have so far found only one reference to it on the net and, strangely, the Briley website doesn't list it.

Does anyone have any independent view/opinion on it?

Thanks in advance for all the information.

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Not heard of this one yet....

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mehul,

There was a review of it in Rifleshooter a few years ago. The only thing I remember is it was a real porker, over 10 pounds in weight in a caliber such as .25'06 or 6.5X55 (don't remember which now).

No mention of that in the article body, only an entry in a data table.
-----------------------------------
OK the magazine was not hard to find: it was the Feb '99 RifleShooter. The rifle was on the cover as well, and John M. Taylor did the writing. The test rifle was a .260 Remington, and only short action calibers were chambered. The author said it was slick-working and highly accurate, and he would use it for most big game.

The weight is are you ready...11 pounds 4 oz with scope ( a Swaro 1" tube 3-10X). The author says each rifle is custom made for the customer; suggested price is $3,000 and up depending on features ordered.
-----------------------------------------

jim dodd

[ 05-26-2003, 20:29: Message edited by: HunterJim ]

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I handled the original a few years ago down at Jess Brileys place here in Houston. As I recall it was a little heavy but generally when Briley builds something it shoots. It's available in single shot or magazine fed, he usually puts pretty nice wood on them.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I have a Briley cataloge but the image host wont let me down load it to post it here.
Oh well. They look like tack drivers to me.
It is said that most of its accuracy is do to the full length aluminum bedding block in the walnut stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Browningguy is right they are heavy. I live about a mile from Briley's, and looked at a TransPecos once. It was heavy enough to be a DGR, but did have some nice stocks with a satin finish.

If you do work with them, or any gunsmith on a project, be sure to get your project clearly specified on paper. I took a cheap SxS shotgun barrel to Briley's to have a matte finish put on it (duck/goose gun for the marsh), and it came back with a super high polish. Ducks can see that barrel shine from the next county.

Steve

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote