Find
Notify
Tools

Refinishing pre 64 stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted
First Thanks to all the advice in my wood vs synthetic stock thread.Here's what I decided.

For my wet/bad weather gun I have a Rem 700
SS in 30.06.Will replace barrel with Lothar Walther ss barrel.Replace trigger with jewel
trigger,and put it in a Mcmillan stock.

For my good weather and deer rifle I'll keep my
pre 64 in wood.I just brought an old stock that
needs to be refinished.So I'll try to refinish one on my own.I'll keep the original in case of screw ups.My question is what do
you seal it with to keep POI from changing
due to the stock swelling etc...?I was thinking of
using this
http://www.winrest.com/
Will it seal the wood?

Thanks
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
JeffP---

I've never used the oil you referenced, but after seeing a couple hundred pre-64 Model 70s with stocks that looks like driftwood I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot brush. The original (alkaloid varnish) didn't work worth beans!

One part Spar varnish, one part mineral spirits, and one part Watco Marine Sealer is waterproof and easy to use.
Add a dollop of an oil-based stain if you want a different hue.

<Oldmodel70>
posted
Jeff, the original stock finish on Winchester 70s wasn't anything to get excited about. I own about a dozen in various stages of wear, and the finish isn't too durable or waterproof........I have heard good things about Daly's SeaFin products. And am going to try one of their sealer-varnishes on my next refinish job. Their number is: 206-633-4200..............Grant.