Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sweets Use
 Login/Join

posted
I have over the years used Sweets for cleaning copper out of my rifle barrels. After using the Sweets I have always followed up with wet patches of a Shooters Choice / Kroil mixture and then after I dry the barrel I run a oiled patch through and a dry to take out the excess oil. My question is would I be better off using patches wet with alcohol after the Sweets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You must of learned those trick from a old BR shooter. I use pretty much the same as you. I use GM top engine cleaner mixed with Kroil after Sweets then just dry with a patch. I don't oil unless I'm not going to use the rifle for awhile. On the use of alcohol I'd got to benchrest.com and ask that question as most of those guys keep up with the latest. I'd be afraid it would cut the lubricant of kroil. Just my .02 worth

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never trusted to leave sweets in the barrel and use alcohol or hoppes to remove it. Followed by a couple dry patches. I do believe that CR10 is even better then sweets.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use of dry patches is fine if you dry the bore out pretty well..the use of alcohol does not hurt but be sure and get it all out with dry patches, don't depend on vaporation..

Its a good practice not to mix products they tell me and I practice that, cause they may be right..

for a better copper remover try Wipe Out or Barnes CR-10, I prefer Wipe Out to all copper removers..except in really bad barrels where I use Blue Goop that I make.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a really bad copper fouled bore:

Fill a quart jar to near full of 25% commercial Amonia (at your druggest) and add a cup full of Hydrogen Peroxide..wash barrel with a patch soaked in this stuff, do not leave in more more that 15 minutes then dry with 4 or 5 dry patches, repeat as needed, then OIL the bore profusly...

It is called "Blue Goop" and has been used by old time bench resters for years, they dropped a penny or copper bullet in the mix to activate it and turn it blue thus the name Blue Goop, but it activates the minute it hits the rifling copper, so I have found the addition of copper changes nothing, other than making it instantly identifiable in the shelf...

This is strong stuff, so use outside and use with care, no room for mistakes...but it works better than any commercial stuff by a long shot....I only use it for impossible barrels or sometimes when I am in a hurry.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote