New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser question
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Can I take the barrel off my Brazillian Mauser and put it on a spanish mauser 93? Are the threads the same?

Thanks guys

Posts: 8036 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Com'on guys. 64 views not one answer!

Anybody?

Posts: 8036 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,
No---the 1908 Brazil is a LR and the '93 is a SR.......Regret I couldn't respond sooner.

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks John.
Another question: Would the Brazilian be suitable for a 9.3x64? Is it long enough?

one of us
posted Hide Post
A general response regarding the 9.3x64:

When Brenneke invented the cartridge, prior to WWI, it was considered acceptable for use in any standard length-large ring model 98. However, this was with period powders.

With today's improved powders, it is generally considered a better option to use model 98's made in Germany after 1934 or in Czechoslovakia after 1924, to take advantage of better metallurgy. (Germany has a later date because that country was in a terrible economic depression between the World Wars). It is also risky to use receivers made in Germany in 1944 and early 1945.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Kurt
The action is marked 1908. I can get hold of a VZ24 action, perhaps thats the way to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The model number only indicates the year of design and contract, the exact year of manufacture should be stamped elsewhere. Anyhow, I think the VZ-24 is a better choice for the 9.3x64, assuming it does not suffer any individual deffects. Save the 1908 for a standard size cartridge.

As a side note, any reservations do not apply to the Oberndorf Commercial mausers made between 1898 and 1935. These were hand picked receivers and are completely safe in their original chamberings, regardless of size.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info mate.